Understanding the Singular Form of ABA: Proving its Validity

• Thread starter wrxue
  • Start date
In summary: I think this works though I was trying to highlight that you don't need to consider all 3 matrices -- using associativity its sufficient to consider some ##\mathbf x \neq \mathbf 0##
wrxue
Member warned that some effort must be shown
Homework Statement
A is MxN matrix.
B is NxN matrix.
If N<M
Relevant Equations
Prove ABA' is singular.(A' is transpose of A)
I don't know how to do.
Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
And A' means A inverse?

WWGD said:
And A' means A inverse?
A' is transpose of A

wrxue said:
A' is transpose of A
Ah, dumb me, A is not square, so cannot have a 2-sided inverse.

Is it also given that B is singular?. Cause if B is for example the identity matrix then I don't see how this can hold for any matrix A...

Likes WWGD
Delta2 said:
Is it also given that B is singular?. Cause if B is for example the identity matrix then I don't see how this can hold for any matrix A...
No, B can be any matrix. No more conditions. Q_Q

It is false then. Take, e.g., A=( 1 2) and B =##I_2##, the 2x2 id matrix. Then ABA'=(5), as a 1x1 matrix, which is invertible.

WWGD said:
It is false then. Take, e.g., A=( 1 2) and B =##I_2##, the 2x2 id matrix. Then ABA'=(5), as a 1x1 matrix, which is invertible.
But in this example, N(=2)>M(=1).

wrxue said:
My bad, I jumped and been jumping the gun. Let me chill and get to it.

wrxue said:
so ##A'## is short and fat... why does that imply there is some ##\mathbf x \neq \mathbf 0## such that ##A'\mathbf x = \mathbf 0##?

also:
what tools/concepts do you have at your disposal? I'd like to do this in terms of rank but it can be done using other concepts e.g. discussing maximal sized square submatrix in ##A## that is invertible (nonzero determinant)

Likes SammyS
StoneTemplePython said:
so ##A'## is short and fat... why does that imply there is some ##\mathbf x \neq \mathbf 0## such that ##A'\mathbf x = \mathbf 0##?

also:
what tools/concepts do you have at your disposal? I'd like to do this in terms of rank but it can be done using other concepts e.g. discussing maximal sized square submatrix in ##A## that is invertible (nonzero determinant)
My thought is
$$CS(ABA^T)\subseteq CS(AB)\subseteq CS(A)$$
so the dimensions of ##CS(\cdot)##
$$dim(CS(ABA^T))\leq dim(CS(AB))\leq dim(CS(A))=Rank(A)\leq (min(N,M))$$
thus
$$dim(CS(ABA^T))\leq N$$
And
$$rank(ABA^T)=dim(CS(ABA^T))\leq N<M$$
##ABA^T## must be singular
Just thought of it

wrxue said:
My thought is
$$CS(ABA^T)\subseteq CS(AB)\subseteq CS(A)$$
so the dimensions of ##CS(\cdot)##
$$dim(CS(ABA^T))\leq dim(CS(AB))\leq dim(CS(A))=Rank(A)\leq (min(N,M))$$
thus
$$dim(CS(ABA^T))\leq N$$
And
$$rank(ABA^T)=dim(CS(ABA^T))\leq N<M$$
##ABA^T## must be singular
Just thought of it

I think this works though I was trying to highlight that you don't need to consider all 3 matrices -- using associativity its sufficient to consider some ##\mathbf x \neq \mathbf 0##

##\mathbf 0 = \mathbf {ABA}^T \mathbf x = \mathbf {AB}\big( \mathbf A^T\mathbf x\big) = \mathbf {AB} \mathbf 0##
because ##\mathbf A^T## has at most N linearly independent columns (as they each live in an N dimensional space), so there is at least one linearly independent vector in its nullspace (by say rank nullity or even more basic arguments since ##M-N \geq 1 \gt 0## there must be at least one column vector in ##\mathbf A## that flunks the definition of linearly independent and hence is linearly dependent...)

EDIT I don't know if I am missing something but, using A an mxn ; m>n and A' nxm :
RankA= RankA'
and ##Rank(AB) \leq RankA ##,
we want to show ##Rank(AB)<m ## . But, since ##m>n ##,
it follows
##RankA, RankB \leq n <m ## ,

And notice this sees to address the condition that m>n .
Doesn't it?

Likes FactChecker
The proof will depend on what definitions and theorems you have to work with. Intuitively, the left-hand operator BA' maps a space of dimension m to a space of lower dimension n; then A maps that to a subspace of dimension n in a space of dimension m. So the entire ABA' operator must have a non-trivial kernal and be singular.

Related to Understanding the Singular Form of ABA: Proving its Validity

1. What is the singular form of ABA?

The singular form of ABA stands for Applied Behavior Analysis, which refers to the scientific approach of understanding and changing behavior based on the principles of behaviorism.

2. How is the validity of ABA proven?

The validity of ABA is proven through rigorous scientific research and experimental studies. It involves collecting data and analyzing results to determine the effectiveness of ABA techniques in changing behavior.

3. What are the key principles of ABA?

The key principles of ABA include reinforcement, which involves rewarding desired behaviors, and punishment, which involves consequences for undesired behaviors. It also involves breaking down complex behaviors into smaller, more manageable steps and using positive reinforcement to teach new behaviors.

4. How is ABA used in practice?

ABA is used in a variety of settings, including schools, hospitals, and homes. It is often used to help individuals with developmental disabilities, such as autism, learn new skills and improve their behavior. ABA techniques can also be applied to help individuals with mental health disorders, addiction, and other behavioral issues.

5. What are some criticisms of ABA?

Some criticisms of ABA include the use of aversive techniques, lack of individualization in treatment, and the focus on changing behavior rather than addressing underlying issues. However, these criticisms are often addressed through ongoing research and training in the field of ABA.