Understanding Torque Vector Direction: The Right Hand Rule Explained

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of the right hand rule in relation to vectors. The person is having trouble getting it to work and is advised to make sure they are using their right hand and that their fingers point in the same direction as the vectors. They are also reminded that it is okay to move the vectors around to align them properly.
alingy1
Hi,

I was looking at this picture. I can't seem to get the right hand rule to work. I put my thumb on vector r and my index on vector F. My middle finger points INTO the page!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-05-20 at 4.17.28 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-05-20 at 4.17.28 PM.png
    17.5 KB · Views: 722
Physics news on Phys.org
Hello.

Are you sure you are using your right hand? My middle finger of the right hand points out of the page.

Don't just place your fingers over the vectors. Also make sure that your fingers point in the same direction as the vectors. It's OK to move the vectors around (as long as they don't turn or stretch/shrink) so that they start at the same spot. That might help since your fingers do start in a single spot (sort of) AKA your hand.

1. What is the Right Hand Rule (RHR) for torque vector direction?

The Right Hand Rule (RHR) is a simple method used to determine the direction of a torque vector. It states that if you point your right thumb in the direction of the applied force and curl your fingers towards the direction of rotation, then the direction in which your fingers point is the direction of the torque vector.

2. Why is it important to use the RHR for determining torque vector direction?

The RHR is important because it helps to establish a standard convention for representing the direction of a torque vector. By using the RHR, scientists and engineers can communicate and understand the direction of a torque vector in a consistent manner.

3. Can the RHR be used for both clockwise and counterclockwise rotations?

Yes, the RHR can be used for both clockwise and counterclockwise rotations. The direction of the torque vector will be determined by the direction in which your fingers point after curling them towards the direction of rotation.

4. How is the RHR applied in physics and engineering?

The RHR is commonly used in physics and engineering to determine the direction of torque in rotational systems. It is also used in the analysis of forces acting on objects and in the design of machines and structures.

5. Are there any alternative methods to the RHR for determining torque vector direction?

Yes, there are other methods that can be used to determine the direction of a torque vector, such as the left-hand rule or the cross product rule. However, the RHR is the most widely used and accepted method in the scientific and engineering communities.