Uniform circular motion - 2 dimensional - 2 forces

In summary, the object moves in a uniform circular motion with a centripetal force of 4N. The force is pointing towards the center of the motion, and the angle is zero when the ball is at the positive side of the x-axis.
finitefemmet
An object moves in the xy-plane in a uniform circular motion. We know that there is two forces action upon the object. One we have that is F1, F2 is unknown. Both vectors

speed : 4m/s
radius : 4m
mass : 1kg
F1 : 10 i N (i as in x-direction vector)
F2 : ? (bound to be in the xy-plane)How do I calculate F2, and I have to calculate it when the angle between the rope and the x-axis is 0, Pi/2 , Pi. The rope has no mass by the way. The motion is counter-clockwise, and the angle is zero when the ball is at the positive side of the x-axis (given that origin is in the middle of the motion).Thank you!

Excuse my poor english

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you tell us what the acceleration of particle if it is in a Uniform circular motion?

Hey finitefemmet,

As the speed is given you can calculate the centripetal force required for the circular motion. Then find F2 such that F1 + F2 is equal to the required force and in the given direction.

Try solving after this.

Okey,

so I have calculated that the net force for the circular motion is 4N... -4(j) if we are at angle zero position.

Now correct me if I am wrong on this:

When the angle is 0, that is when the ball is on the right side of origin on the x-axis.
The force is then pointing too origin and that is negative x-direction. F2 is then : -4(j) - 10 (i).

Minus 10 too "cancel" out the y-axis force and -4(j) too get the right net force.

And so on for the rest of the angles

Right track?

Thanks for the quick response!

finitefemmet said:
Okey,

so I have calculated that the net force for the circular motion is 4N... -4(j) if we are at angle zero position.

Is that correct?

Well

F = (m*v2) / r
F = (1*4^2) / 4 = 4
And the force is pointing towards the center.

finitefemmet said:
And the force is pointing towards the center.

that is why it is -4(i) not (j)

My mistake, you are absolutely right!

But now that is solved, the rest of my thinking should be okey?

yeah rest is right. The only mistake was this one

1. What is uniform circular motion?

Uniform circular motion is the motion of an object traveling in a circular path at a constant speed.

2. What is 2-dimensional motion?

2-dimensional motion refers to the movement of an object in two different directions simultaneously, typically represented by x and y axes.

3. What are the forces involved in uniform circular motion?

The two forces involved in uniform circular motion are centripetal force, which is directed towards the center of the circle and keeps the object moving in a circular path, and tangential force, which is perpendicular to the centripetal force and keeps the object moving at a constant speed.

4. How do these forces affect the object's velocity?

The centripetal force causes a change in the direction of the object's velocity, while the tangential force causes a change in the magnitude of the object's velocity. Together, these forces keep the object moving in a circular path at a constant speed.

5. What is the equation for calculating centripetal force?

The centripetal force can be calculated using the equation F = (mv^2)/r, where F is the force, m is the mass of the object, v is the velocity of the object, and r is the radius of the circular path.