Uniform Circular Motion question

In summary: Thank you!In summary, the minimum distance you must be from the wall to avoid a collision is 4.77 meters if you do not brake, and 1320 meters if you brake but do not turn the steering wheel.
devilish_wit

Homework Statement

While learning to drive, you are in a 1 320-kg car moving at 34.0 m/s across a large, vacant, level parking lot. Suddenly you realize you are heading straight toward a brick sidewall of a large supermarket and are in danger of running into it. The pavement can exert a maximum horizontal force of 6 300 N on the car.

(1) Suppose you apply the brakes and do not turn the steering wheel. Find the minimum distance you must be from the wall to avoid a collision.

(2) If you do not brake but instead maintain constant speed and turn the steering wheel, what is the minimum distance you must be from the wall to avoid a collision?

Homework Equations

F = ma

a = V^2 / r

The Attempt at a Solution

m = 1320 kg
v = 34 m/s
F = 6300 N

(1) F = ma
6300 N = 1320kg a ---> a = 6300 N/1320kg = 4.77 m/s^2

Vf^2 = Vi^2 x 2ad
0 = (34 m/s)^2 + (2)(4.77)d
(34m/s)^2 / 2(4.77m/s^2) = d ---> d = 121.17m (This answer is correct)

(2) a = v^2 / r...

I'm not sure how to answer this second question and where to start. Any ideas?

Physics news on Phys.org
Member advised not to provide complete solutions to other's homework
Hi,
We know that the mass is 1320 kg
maximum force by pavement of car is 6300N
thus maximum retardation that we can produce is = F/m= 4.77 m/s^2
using v^2=u^2 + 2as with appropriate signs we get
34^2=2⋅(4.77).s
thus s=121.17 meters for the second part let's say that while turning you're following a circular trajectory with constant speed hence it is a classical case of uniform circular motion
the centripetal force which is provided by the friction, since that is due to rubbing between the two surfaces i must say that the pavement is " kind of providing" the "turning force" which means 6300=mv^2/R where R is the radius of circular trajectory and also the minimum distance for turning if we consider length of car negligible
thus 6300=1320.(34)^2/r or R= 1320.(34)^2/6300=242.2 meters
i hope you understood my solution, i may be wrong too all suggestions are accepted. thank you

Likes devilish_wit
physics_pi_rate said:
Hi,
We know that the mass is 1320 kg
maximum force by pavement of car is 6300N
thus maximum retardation that we can produce is = F/m= 4.77 m/s^2
using v^2=u^2 + 2as with appropriate signs we get
34^2=2⋅(4.77).s
thus s=121.17 metersfor the second part let's say that while turning you're following a circular trajectory with constant speed hence it is a classical case of uniform circular motion
the centripetal force which is provided by the friction, since that is due to rubbing between the two surfaces i must say that the pavement is " kind of providing" the "turning force" which means 6300=mv^2/R where R is the radius of circular trajectory and also the minimum distance for turning if we consider length of car negligible
thus 6300=1320.(34)^2/r or R= 1320.(34)^2/6300=242.2 meters
i hope you understood my solution, i may be wrong too all suggestions are accepted. thank you

Yes it's correct! :)

devilish_wit said:
Yes it's correct! :)
I am glad i could be of help to you :)

1. What is Uniform Circular Motion?

Uniform Circular Motion is a type of motion in which an object moves in a circular path at a constant speed. The object's velocity is always tangent to the circular path, meaning it is always perpendicular to the radius of the circle. This type of motion is common in circular orbits or when an object is rotating on a fixed axis.

2. What is the difference between Uniform Circular Motion and non-uniform circular motion?

The main difference between Uniform Circular Motion and non-uniform circular motion is that in Uniform Circular Motion, the object moves at a constant speed, whereas in non-uniform circular motion, the object's speed changes as it moves along the circular path. In non-uniform circular motion, the object's velocity is not always tangent to the path, meaning it has both a tangential and radial component.

3. How is centripetal force related to Uniform Circular Motion?

Centripetal force is the force that keeps an object moving in a circular path. In Uniform Circular Motion, the object's velocity is always changing due to its direction changing, but its speed remains constant. This means that there must be a force acting towards the center of the circle to constantly change the object's direction. This force is known as centripetal force.

4. What is the difference between centripetal force and centrifugal force?

Centripetal force and centrifugal force are often confused, but they are not the same thing. Centripetal force is the force that keeps an object moving in a circular path, while centrifugal force is an outward force that appears to act on the object as it moves along the circular path. Centrifugal force is not a real force, but rather a perceived force due to the object's tendency to move in a straight line.

5. How is Uniform Circular Motion related to angular velocity?

Angular velocity is a measure of how fast an object is rotating around an axis. In Uniform Circular Motion, an object is constantly changing direction, so it must also have an angular velocity. The magnitude of the angular velocity is equal to the object's speed divided by the radius of the circular path. This means that as the object moves faster, the angular velocity increases, and as the radius of the path increases, the angular velocity decreases.