Proving Uniform Continuity for Composite Functions

In summary: Basically, if f is a function and g is a function and h is a function, then h is uniformly continuous if and only if for every e>0 there exists d>0 such that |g(f(x))-g(f(y))| < e for any x,y in S.
theneedtoknow

Homework Statement

1. Consider the function f(x) = x^3. Prove that (a) it is not uniformly continuous on R, but that (b) it is uniformly continuous on any interval of the type [-a, a]
2. Suppose that f is uniformly continuous on a region S, and g is uniformly continuous on the region f(S). Show that the composite function g(f(x)) is uniformly continuous on S.

Homework Equations

A function is uniformly continuous on a set S if for every e>0 exists d>0 such that |x-y|<d implies |f(x)-f(y)|<e for any x,y in S

The Attempt at a Solution

1a) I'm strugginling how to prove that it is not uniformly continuous on R. I don't really know where to start...I mean intuitively its pretty obviously its not uniformly continuous since the slope increases without bound , so no delta you choose for |x-y|<d can imply |f(x)-f(y)|<e for every x,y (due to the fact that f(x)-f(y) tends to infinity as x, y go to inifnity under the constraint x = y+d)
But I really have no idea how to "prove" this..The only thing i can think of to do, but I can't htink of a reason to do it (lol) is to show that
If i take |x-y|<d with x>y, d>o then i have

|f(x)-f(y)| is equal to or greater than (y+d)^3 - y^3 = 3y^2d + 3d^2y + d^3 and I don't really know what to do from here.

1b) By mean favlue theorem, f(x)-f(y) = f'(c) (x-y)
so |f(x)-f(y)| ≤ |f'(c)| |x-y| ≤ sup on [-a,a] of f' * |x-y| = 3a^2 |x-y|

since Take d = e/3a^2

Then , if |x-y| < e/3a^2
We have

|f(x)-f(y)| ≤ 3a^2 |x-y| ≤ 3a^2 * e/3a^2 = e

So it has been proven

2. This one I don't even know where to begin :S Help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Some hints:

1a) Start with the negation of the definition of uniform continuity: A function is not uniformly continuous on A if there is an [tex]\varepsilon > 0[/tex] such that for any [tex]\delta > 0[/tex], there exist [tex]x,y \in A[/tex] satisfying [tex]\left|x-y\right| < \delta[/tex] and [tex]\left|f(x)-f(y)\right| \geq \varepsilon[/tex].

1b) I don't think you need to apply the mean value theorem here. Once you factor out the (x-y) term I think you can easily bound the [tex]\left|f(x)-f(y)\right|[/tex] by choosing the appropriate delta.

2. Standard composition of functions limiting argument. Start with the fact that g is uniformly continuous. Use the "delta" in the definition of continuity of g as the "epsilon" in the definition of the continuity of f.

For 2, I was thinkin something along those lines, but would it be as simple as saying
We know:
|x-y| < d1 ---> |f(x)-f(y)|<e1
and

|f(x)-f(y)|<d2 ----> |g(f(x)) - g(f(y))| < e2
want to show |x-y|<d ----> |g(f(x)) - g(f(y))| < e
set e1 = d2

then
|x-y|<d1 ------> |f(x)-(f(y)|<d2 -------> |g(f(x)) - g(f(y))| < e2

So it is proven?

Yeah, that is the basic idea, but the actual write-up should be organized a bit better. For instance, you should understand why you want to estimate the proximity of g(a) and g(b) for a,b in f(S) first. Then the modulus of continuity of g (the "delta") tells us exactly how close we need f(x) and f(y) to be (x,y in A) for |g(f(x)) - g(f(y))| < e to be satisfied, so we can choose the "epsilon" accordingly in the definition of the continuity of f.

As for generalizations of 1b), the simplest one can be found in the second thread by JG89 under the similar threads are at the bottom of this page.

1. What is uniform continuity?

Uniform continuity is a mathematical concept that describes the behavior of a function over a range of values. A function is uniformly continuous if small changes in the input result in small changes in the output throughout the entire range.

2. How is uniform continuity different from continuity?

Uniform continuity is a stronger version of continuity. While continuity only requires that small changes in the input result in small changes in the output at a single point, uniform continuity requires this to be true for the entire range of values.

3. What is the formal definition of uniform continuity?

The formal definition of uniform continuity is: A function f is uniformly continuous on a given interval if for any ε > 0, there exists a δ > 0 such that for all x and y in the interval, if |x-y| < δ, then |f(x)-f(y)| < ε.

4. How do you prove uniform continuity?

To prove uniform continuity, you must show that the function satisfies the formal definition. This can be done by using the definition to find a suitable value for δ for a given ε, and showing that the function satisfies the condition for all x and y in the given interval.

5. Why is uniform continuity important?

Uniform continuity is important because it guarantees that a function will behave consistently over its entire range of values. This is useful in many areas of mathematics and science, as it allows us to make accurate predictions and draw conclusions about the behavior of a function.