Solving Union and Intersection Expressions

In summary, the conversation discusses simplifying the expression (B union C) intersection (B union NOT-C) intersection (NOT-B union C) and the use of Venn diagrams to solve it. The suggestion is made to use the "element-chasing-method" to verify the simplified result of B intersection C. The final solution is determined to be (B intersection C) and the use of associativity and distributivity laws is recommended for future simplifications.
dimpledur

Homework Statement

Simplify the expression: (B union C) intersection (B union NOT-C) intersection (NOT-B union C)

The Attempt at a Solution

I have no clue how to attempt this question, as every time I do attempt it I get a different solution.

Physics news on Phys.org
Show some work that you've done where you are getting different answers

Well, I can't really show you my work because I don't know how to do it without ven diagrams. Is there another way?

Perhaps if I tell you what my final solution was, you could just tell me if I did it right?

My simplified version was (B intersection C)

You can see if your method is correct by doing the "element-chasing-method". Have you tried verifying your answer that way?

Okay, I just tried using elements, and it turns out that there is no simplified version of that expression. Or would the simplified expression be nothing? ie. an empty set?

or should I write "null" at the bottom of my solution?

Your simplified result [tex]B \cap C[/tex] is correct nonetheless, but you may need to do it without Venn diagrams!
Apply the associativity and distributivity laws. You have [tex]A \cap (B \cap C) = (A \cap B) \cap C[/tex], similarly for unions. And [tex]A \cap (B \cup C) = (A \cap B) \cup (A \cap C)[/tex] and [tex]A \cup (B \cap C) = (A \cup B) \cap (A \cup C)[/tex].

1. What is the difference between union and intersection?

The union of two sets contains all elements that are present in either set, while the intersection of two sets contains only elements that are present in both sets.

2. Can the union and intersection of sets be empty?

Yes, it is possible for the union and intersection of sets to be empty. This would occur if the two sets have no elements in common for the intersection, or if there are no elements in either set for the union.

3. How are union and intersection used in mathematics?

Union and intersection are fundamental operations in set theory and are used to compare and combine sets. They are also used in other branches of mathematics, such as probability and statistics.

4. Is the order of elements important in the union and intersection of sets?

No, the order of elements does not matter when performing the union and intersection operations. The resulting set will contain the same elements regardless of their order.

5. Can the union and intersection of sets be performed on more than two sets?

Yes, the union and intersection operations can be performed on any number of sets. The resulting set will contain elements that are present in all sets for intersection, and elements that are present in at least one set for union.