Union of Proper Subspaces Problem

In summary, it is proven that a vector space V over an infinite field cannot be the union of finitely many proper subspaces. This is because for any union of subspaces, there will always be infinitely many elements in the complement that cannot be covered by the union, making it impossible for the union to equal the entire vector space. This holds true for both finite and infinite fields, as shown by the measure theory argument.
e(ho0n3
Homework Statement
Let V be a vector space over an infinite field. Prove that V is not the union of finitely many proper subspaces of V.

The attempt at a solution
Suppose V is the union of the proper subspaces U1, ..., Un. Let ui be a vector not in Ui. If u1 + ... + un is in the union, then there must be some subspace that contains it. But then that subspace contains a sum where one of the terms doesn't belong to it. I'm hoping this isn't possible but I can't think of anything contradictory.

In any case, I think my approach is wrong because I haven't really used the fact that V is defined over an infinite field and that the union is a finite one.

Physics news on Phys.org
e(ho0n3 said:
But then that subspace contains a sum where one of the terms doesn't belong to it. I'm hoping this isn't possible but I can't think of anything contradictory.

Of course that isn't contradictory: 0 is in any subspace and 0=u-u for any u irrespective of what u is.

Just consider two subspaces, X and Y. When is XuY even a vector space?

Let x belong to X and y belong to Y. If the union of X and Y is a vector space, then x + y must be in the union and so x + y must be in either X or Y. If y were solely in Y, then there would be a problem: If x + y is in X, then x + y - x = y is in X which is impossible.

So for the union of X and Y to be a vector space, one has to be a subset of the other?

e(ho0n3 said:
So for the union of X and Y to be a vector space, one has to be a subset of the other?

Correct.

You can prove a general statement (the union of two subspaces is a subspace) is NOT true by giving a single counterexample.

Consider R2 where U= {(x,y)| y= x} and V= {(x,y)|y= -x}. It is easy to show that U and V are subspaces of R2 but that their union is not.

Say V is a two-dimensional vector space defined over Z2. V has four elements and the span of each of those elements is a proper subspace of V. The union of the spans is V.

To be more precise (in post #3), if X and Y are vector spaces defined over an infinite field, then their union is a subspace if one is a subset of the other.

You have a really good example there. As people have pointed out before, the union of two subspaces is only a subspace if there is a containment relation between them. This is true even for finite fields. The union of any two nontrivial subspaces of your space over Z2 is not a subspace. The union of all of them is. I actually don't know how to solve this problem yet. I'm just thinking out loud. You have to figure out how what happens over Z2 doesn't happen over an infinite field.

Last edited:
Here's the 'explanation' for you, Dick.

Take 1 subspace, there are infinitely many elements in the complement. Picking another subspace cannot hit all of the things in the complement, and there will still be infinitely many things left over. Picking finitely many subspaces can never get to hit all of these infinitely many things that are left over.

The measure theoretic statement of that fact (i.e. one for R^n, C^n etc and one the OP shouldn't use, so it's ok to give), is that a proper subspace of R^n has measure zero. So the union of finitely many of them has measure zero (in fact the union of countably many of them). So no finite, or even countable, union of proper subspaces of R^n can equal R^n.

Sure. The measure theory picture is what I have in my head. I'm just having trouble trying to think of a way to write the 'infinitely many things' argument.

1. What is the Union of Proper Subspaces Problem?

The Union of Proper Subspaces Problem is a mathematical problem that deals with finding the smallest subspace that contains a given set of subspaces. It is often used in linear algebra and has applications in fields such as computer science and engineering.

2. How is the Union of Proper Subspaces Problem solved?

The Union of Proper Subspaces Problem can be solved using various methods, including the direct method, the greedy algorithm, and the recursive method. Each method has its advantages and disadvantages, and the choice of method depends on the specific problem at hand.

3. What are the applications of the Union of Proper Subspaces Problem?

The Union of Proper Subspaces Problem has a wide range of applications, including data compression, image and signal processing, and pattern recognition. It is also used in machine learning and artificial intelligence to find the optimal solution to a given problem.

4. What are the challenges in solving the Union of Proper Subspaces Problem?

One of the main challenges in solving the Union of Proper Subspaces Problem is the computational complexity. The problem is known to be NP-hard, which means that there is no known efficient algorithm that can solve it in polynomial time. Therefore, finding an optimal solution can be time-consuming and resource-intensive.

5. Can the Union of Proper Subspaces Problem be generalized to higher dimensions?

Yes, the Union of Proper Subspaces Problem can be generalized to higher dimensions. In fact, the problem is often studied in higher dimensions, as it has many real-world applications in fields such as computer vision and data analysis. However, the computational complexity increases exponentially with the dimension, making it even more challenging to solve.