Unitary evolution and environment

In summary, unitary evolution concerns only quantum systems and there are no changes in environment. This is assumed and comes from Wigner's Theorem and Schrodinger's equation, which only apply to systems not entangled with other systems. Entangled systems are generally not in a pure state and unitary evolution may not apply. The system and environment proceed by unitary evolution but entangled subsystems may not. The reason we like unitary time evolution is because it conserves probability. If the time evolution is not unitary, there may be a situation in which a particle gradually disappears. In order to study quantum effects, experiments must be designed to isolate the system from the environment as much as possible.
zonde
Gold Member
I have question about unitary evolution. As I understand it is assumed that unitary evolution concerns only quantum system and there are no changes in environment.
First, I would like to ask if my understanding is correct?
Second, from where comes this assumption? Does it comes with Schrodinger equation (postulate of QM)?

Physics news on Phys.org
zonde said:
As I understand it is assumed that unitary evolution concerns only quantum system and there are no changes in environment.

Wigner's Theorem - see attached.

It only applies to isolated systems. Entangled systems eg systems entangled with the environment, are generally not in a pure state (they are in a mixed state) and unitary evolution may not apply. This is the origin of decoherence as the explanation for apparent collapse which of course most definitely is not unitary. The system and environment proceed by unitary evolution but entangled subsystems may not.

Thanks
Bill

Attachments

• 660-Chapter_VII.pdf
    506.6 KB · Views: 196
Last edited:
The system we dealt with in quantum mechanics is usually a closed system. Sometimes we also study open quantum systems but still the system together with the surroundings constitutes a larger CLOSED system. And Schrodinger equation only applies to a closed system. You are correct on this point :)

We like unitary time evolution because it conserves probability. If the time evolution is not unitary, there might be situation in which a particle gradually disappears as time proceeds.

Thanks bhobba and gre_abandon,
So it's both, Wigner's Theorem and Schrodinger equation that applies only to closed systems?

There can be harmonic oscillator and there can be driven&damped oscillator that looks the same way as harmonic oscillator. So we assume that quantum system is like harmonic oscillator (closed system) and we can apply Schrodinger equation.
But if our assumption does not hold and system only looks like the type of harmonic oscillator but actually is the type of driven&damped oscillator (open system). How we can test this assumption? What we get if we apply Schrodinger equation to the second type system?

zonde said:
Thanks bhobba and gre_abandon, So it's both, Wigner's Theorem and Schrodinger equation that applies only to closed systems?

Wigner's theorem and Schroedinger's equation applies to systems not entangled with other systems.

I don't understand what you mean by harmonic oscillator analogy. Its to do with entanglement.

Thanks
Bill

bhobba said:
Wigner's theorem and Schroedinger's equation applies to systems not entangled with other systems.
And if we out of our ignorance apply Schroedinger's equation and Wigner's theorem to the system that is entangled with other system(s)? How we would find that out?

zonde said:
And if we out of our ignorance apply Schroedinger's equation and Wigner's theorem to the system that is entangled with other system(s)? How we would find that out?

You cant. When a system is entangled with another system it isn't in a pure state and hence has no wavefunction.

Thanks
Bill

bhobba said:
You cant. When a system is entangled with another system it isn't in a pure state and hence has no wavefunction.
So you say that if we will check that the system is in pure state (check that specific filter does not reduce number of particles) we will know it is not entangled?

zonde said:
So you say that if we will check that the system is in pure state (check that specific filter does not reduce number of particles) we will know it is not entangled?
I may be wrong, but I think what Bill is saying is that if you only take the one system into consideration, you won't find it is in a pure state (when you use a density matrix instead?). However if you take the system + whatever it is entangled with, then the wave-function applying to both systems is in a pure state.

StevieTNZ said:
I may be wrong, but I think what Bill is saying is that if you only take the one system into consideration, you won't find it is in a pure state (when you use a density matrix instead?). However if you take the system + whatever it is entangled with, then the wave-function applying to both systems is in a pure state.
Yes, you might be right. I reread my posts and I might have not made it clear enough that my question is about correspondence between QM and reality and not about QM itself.

zonde said:
check that specific filter does not reduce number of particles we will know it is not entangled?

I have zero idea what you mean by that.

Consider the following entangled state between system 1 and system 2 - c1 |a>|b> + c2|b>|a> I often speak about in discussing entanglement. Neither system 1 or system 2 are in a pure state so Schroedinger's equation can't apply.

If it's not clear now then I will have to leave it to someone else to explain because that's as good as I can do.

Thanks
Bill

Last edited:
bhobba said:
Consider the following entangled state between system 1 and system 2 - c1 |a>|b> + c2|b>|a> I often speak about in discussing entanglement. Neither system 1 or system 2 are in a pure state so Schroedinger's equation can't apply.

If it's not clear now then I will have to leave it to someone else to explain because that's as good as I can do.
It's crystal clear, thank you.
Now that we are on the same page can I go one step further?

Just by logic I can rewrite your statement:
bhobba said:
When a system is entangled with another system it isn't in a pure state and hence has no wavefunction.
as
"When a system is in pure state it isn't entangled with another system(s)."
Do you agree?

zonde said:

We do this all the time. The way you (usually) find out in an experiment is that your system will initially behave -approximately- the way you would expect it to from solving the SE, but at longer timescales it it will start to deviate until it eventually it behaves like a "classical" system. Hence, if you want to study quantum effects the key is to design your experiment in such a way that your system is as isolated from the environment as possible thereby reducing the amount of decoherence. For many systems we can quite accurately model this because the dominant cause coupling to the environment is easy to identify.

Note that nothing I that I have written here disagrees with what has been said above. However, it is all to easy to get the idea from reading popsci that this is some sort of insurmountable problem when it is -from a practical point of view- no more an issue than in other areas of physics. There is no such thing as a truly closed system, but that does not stop us from (nearly) always making that approximation in e.g. thermodynamics of even Newtonian mechanics.

Likes bhobba
zonde said:
Thanks bhobba and gre_abandon,
So it's both, Wigner's Theorem and Schrodinger equation that applies only to closed systems?

There can be harmonic oscillator and there can be driven&damped oscillator that looks the same way as harmonic oscillator. So we assume that quantum system is like harmonic oscillator (closed system) and we can apply Schrodinger equation.
But if our assumption does not hold and system only looks like the type of harmonic oscillator but actually is the type of driven&damped oscillator (open system). How we can test this assumption? What we get if we apply Schrodinger equation to the second type system?
Yes, these theorems both only apply to closed system. Speaking of open quantum system, we usually consider the system we are interested in and the surroundings together as a whole. The time evolution of the whole system, which is unitary, can be written as $$ \mathcal{H^{sys}}\otimes \mathcal{H^{env}} $$. Quantum harmonic oscillator is just a model that is extremely useful in physics and it is hard to say that something IS a quantum oscillator. What we can do is just check the theoretical prediction against the experimental results to see if a model works.

Likes zonde
gre_abandon said:
What we can do is just check the theoretical prediction against the experimental results to see if a model works.
I totally agree with that. This is actually the basis for my question in post #4. But I am trying to think in what way model could fail if particular assumption would not hold. And the reason is that the model might not be quite consistent so that the failure of model might hide in it's inconsistencies.
gre_abandon said:
Yes, these theorems both only apply to closed system. Speaking of open quantum system, we usually consider the system we are interested in and the surroundings together as a whole. The time evolution of the whole system, which is unitary, can be written as
$$ \mathcal{H^{sys}}\otimes \mathcal{H^{env}} $$​
Thanks for your explanation. And I think I can now formulate my doubt more clearly. If assumption about system being closed fails it would be more like [itex]H^{sys}[/itex] undergoes unitary evolution but [itex]H^{env}[/itex] undergoes complementary evolution (it might not make any sense however).
So I think I might end the discussion here, at least as far as my questions are concerned.

f95toli said:
We do this all the time. The way you (usually) find out in an experiment is that your system will initially behave -approximately- the way you would expect it to from solving the SE, but at longer timescales it it will start to deviate until it eventually it behaves like a "classical" system. Hence, if you want to study quantum effects the key is to design your experiment in such a way that your system is as isolated from the environment as possible thereby reducing the amount of decoherence. For many systems we can quite accurately model this because the dominant cause coupling to the environment is easy to identify.

Note that nothing I that I have written here disagrees with what has been said above. However, it is all to easy to get the idea from reading popsci that this is some sort of insurmountable problem when it is -from a practical point of view- no more an issue than in other areas of physics. There is no such thing as a truly closed system, but that does not stop us from (nearly) always making that approximation in e.g. thermodynamics of even Newtonian mechanics.
Thanks,
This gives idea how you understand "open system". And I understand that from practical point of view it's not a problem that there are no ideal "closed systems". My doubt was rather that the ideal system (the one that obeys Schrodinger equation) might not be closed.

1. What is unitary evolution and environment?

Unitary evolution and environment is the concept that living organisms and their environment are interdependent and influence each other's evolution. This means that changes in the environment can lead to changes in organisms, and changes in organisms can also affect the environment.

2. How does unitary evolution and environment apply to scientific research?

Unitary evolution and environment is a fundamental concept in many fields of science, including biology, ecology, and evolutionary psychology. It helps scientists understand how living organisms adapt and evolve in response to changes in their environment, and how these changes can also impact the environment.

3. What are some examples of unitary evolution and environment in action?

One example is the adaptation of birds' beaks to different types of food sources. As the environment changes and different food sources become available, birds' beaks can evolve to better suit their needs. Another example is the impact of human activity on the environment, such as deforestation and its effects on the evolution of plant and animal species.

4. How does unitary evolution and environment relate to the concept of natural selection?

Unitary evolution and environment and natural selection are closely related concepts. Natural selection is the process by which favorable traits are passed down through generations, resulting in the evolution of species. The environment plays a crucial role in natural selection, as organisms with traits that are better suited to their environment are more likely to survive and reproduce.

5. Can unitary evolution and environment be applied to humans?

Yes, unitary evolution and environment can be applied to humans. Just like any other living organism, humans are influenced by their environment and can adapt and evolve in response to changes. This is evident in the evolution of human cultures and societies, as well as the impact of environmental factors on human health and well-being.