1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Universal expansion reaching a point of equiblirium

1. Oct 11, 2006 #1
    The two possibilities generally presented on the expansion of the universe is that either the universe will continue to expand, or it will eventually cease expansion and compress back to a singularity. Is there a third possibility?

Has anyone presented a coherent idea that allows for the expansion to cease, and not then necessarily compress?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 11, 2006 #2
    Current data seems to suggest not only that the universe will continue to expand, but that something is causing the expansion to accelerate. May I direct you to the best explanation one could expect?

4. Oct 12, 2006 #3
    Thank you. I have seen that thread. The 3rd option I am considering takes into account that there would be just such an acceleration before equilibrium is achieved. Perhaps I should rephrase the question:

If not this universe, has there been a coherent explanation for the possibility of an expanding universe that eventually is able to attain a state of equilibrium, that is, it will no longer expand, and will not fall back on itself?

5. Oct 12, 2006 #4

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Einstein's static universe is such a universe, but its equilibrium is unstable.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?