Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Universal expansion reaching a point of equiblirium

1. Oct 11, 2006 #1
    The two possibilities generally presented on the expansion of the universe is that either the universe will continue to expand, or it will eventually cease expansion and compress back to a singularity. Is there a third possibility?

Has anyone presented a coherent idea that allows for the expansion to cease, and not then necessarily compress?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 11, 2006 #2
    Current data seems to suggest not only that the universe will continue to expand, but that something is causing the expansion to accelerate. May I direct you to the best explanation one could expect?

4. Oct 12, 2006 #3
    Thank you. I have seen that thread. The 3rd option I am considering takes into account that there would be just such an acceleration before equilibrium is achieved. Perhaps I should rephrase the question:

If not this universe, has there been a coherent explanation for the possibility of an expanding universe that eventually is able to attain a state of equilibrium, that is, it will no longer expand, and will not fall back on itself?

5. Oct 12, 2006 #4

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Einstein's static universe is such a universe, but its equilibrium is unstable.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?