Universal Gravitation: Does It Apply to Every Particle in the Universe?

In summary: Is this law what makes the atoms of a solid material stick together, and makes it rigid?No, that is done by the electromagnetic force, between the electrons of the different molecules.
MHD93
Hello all,

1) Does the universal gravitation law apply to every two particles in the universe, no matter how far they are from each other?

For instance, is there a gravitation force between the pen in my hand and the farthest particle(or star) in the universe, I don't care how small this force is, but I am asking about its existence.

2) Is this law what makes the atoms of a solid material stick together, and makes it rigid?

Thanks a lot
Mohammad

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hello Mohammad! Welcome to PF! :smile:
Mohammad_93 said:
1) Does the universal gravitation law apply to every two particles in the universe, no matter how far they are from each other?

For instance, is there a gravitation force between the pen in my hand and the farthest particle(or star) in the universe, I don't care how small this force is, but I am asking about its existence.

Yup! :biggrin:
2) Is this law what makes the atoms of a solid material stick together, and makes it rigid?

No, that is done by the electromagnetic force, between the electrons of the different molecules. :wink:

Hello Mohammad! I am new here too!
Mohammad_93 said:
Hello all,

well for this part of the question the answer is, just like tiny-tim said, Yes. Since the quantitative equation is
F=Gm1m2

Your pen in your hand has mass so does the distant star. Hence there is force existing but the thing is it is very very very small.

Related to Universal Gravitation: Does It Apply to Every Particle in the Universe?

1. What is the Universal Gravitation Law?

The Universal Gravitation Law, also known as Newton's Law of Universal Gravitation, states that every object in the universe is attracted to every other object with a force that is directly proportional to the product of their masses and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

2. Who discovered the Universal Gravitation Law?

Sir Isaac Newton is credited with discovering the Universal Gravitation Law in 1687. He developed this law as part of his theory of gravity, which revolutionized the scientific understanding of how objects move in space.

3. How does the Universal Gravitation Law apply to everyday life?

The Universal Gravitation Law is responsible for the force of gravity that keeps us grounded on Earth and enables objects to fall to the ground. It also explains the motion of planets, moons, and other celestial bodies in our solar system.

4. Is the Universal Gravitation Law the same as the Law of Gravity?

Yes, the Universal Gravitation Law and the Law of Gravity are often used interchangeably to refer to the same scientific principle. The Law of Gravity is simply a shortened version of the Universal Gravitation Law.

5. Is the Universal Gravitation Law a proven theory?

Yes, the Universal Gravitation Law has been extensively tested and confirmed through numerous experiments and observations. It is considered a fundamental law of physics and is a key component of our scientific understanding of the universe.