1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Schools University vs Departmental Power

1. Feb 18, 2010 #1
    Hi,

Does anyone know how much power general university grad school admissions offices tend to have versus the departmental ones? At one school I'm applying to, the departments make recommendations to the registrar's office, which actually sends out the formal acceptances. I just found out I recommended for acceptence with full funding at one school by the math department. Now it's in the registrar's hands, and I really hope it's just a rubber stamp type process.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 18, 2010 #2
    For graduate admissions, the central university administration is usually a rubber stamp.

4. Feb 18, 2010 #3

Choppy

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

At all the schools I'm familiar with it's more or less a rubber stamp process. The university registrar will establish minimum requirements for graduate student admissions into the university. Often specific departments will have higher minimum admission requirements or at very least adopt the same ones.

The only tricky situation I can think of is if for whatever reason the department wants to admit you but you don't meet the university's minimum admission requirements. This is a pretty rare circumstance though.

5. Feb 18, 2010 #4

Astronuc

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

My acceptance to grad school was essentially handled by the department, and I had little interaction with the registrar's office. The registrar's involvement seemed more or less a formality.

6. Feb 18, 2010 #5
    Was kind of in this situation (missed the departments GRE requirement by a drop), and I still got my letter 'cause the department had approved it.

7. Feb 18, 2010 #6
    Sigh, I'm in this circumstance...

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook