University vs Departmental Power

In summary: I applied to a few schools and my letters came back saying full funding but no placement because I didn't take the GREs. I'm not sure what to do now.In summary, the central university administration is usually a rubber stamp and the university registrar will establish minimum requirements for graduate student admissions into the university. Often specific departments have higher minimum admission requirements or at very least adopt the same ones. The only tricky situation is if for whatever reason the department wants to admit you but you don't meet the university's minimum admission requirements.
some_dude
Hi,

Does anyone know how much power general university grad school admissions offices tend to have versus the departmental ones? At one school I'm applying to, the departments make recommendations to the registrar's office, which actually sends out the formal acceptances. I just found out I recommended for acceptence with full funding at one school by the math department. Now it's in the registrar's hands, and I really hope it's just a rubber stamp type process.

Physics news on Phys.org
some_dude said:
Does anyone know how much power general university grad school admissions offices tend to have versus the departmental ones?

For graduate admissions, the central university administration is usually a rubber stamp.

At all the schools I'm familiar with it's more or less a rubber stamp process. The university registrar will establish minimum requirements for graduate student admissions into the university. Often specific departments will have higher minimum admission requirements or at very least adopt the same ones.

The only tricky situation I can think of is if for whatever reason the department wants to admit you but you don't meet the university's minimum admission requirements. This is a pretty rare circumstance though.

My acceptance to grad school was essentially handled by the department, and I had little interaction with the registrar's office. The registrar's involvement seemed more or less a formality.

Choppy said:
The only tricky situation I can think of is if for whatever reason the department wants to admit you but you don't meet the university's minimum admission requirements. This is a pretty rare circumstance though.
Was kind of in this situation (missed the departments GRE requirement by a drop), and I still got my letter 'cause the department had approved it.

Choppy said:

Sigh, I'm in this circumstance...

1. What is the difference between university power and departmental power?

University power refers to the authority and control held by the overall institution, while departmental power refers to the authority and control held by a specific department within the university.

2. How do university and departmental power affect decision-making within a university?

University power typically has a higher level of influence on major decisions, such as budget allocations and institutional policies, while departmental power has a more direct influence on decisions related to specific programs and courses within their department.

3. Can departmental power override university power?

In most cases, university power holds the ultimate authority and can override departmental power. However, there may be instances where a department has a strong influence and can negotiate with the university for more control over certain decisions.

4. How do power dynamics between the university and departments impact faculty and students?

The distribution of power between the university and departments can greatly impact faculty and students. For example, if a department has more power, they may have more control over curriculum and teaching methods, which can directly affect the quality of education for students. Faculty may also feel more supported and valued if their department has a stronger voice within the university.

5. How do universities maintain a balance of power between the institution and individual departments?

Maintaining a balance of power can be a delicate task for universities. One way to achieve this is through effective communication and collaboration between the university and departments. This allows for both entities to have a say in decision-making and ensures that the needs and goals of both are considered. Additionally, having clear guidelines and procedures in place can help prevent one entity from overpowering the other.