Unlocking Realistic Rotational Collisions with Physics & Graphics Engines

In summary, the conversation discusses the equations needed for realistic collision physics of rotating objects. The Wikipedia page on elastic collisions provides a helpful general vector form of the equation, but when substituting masses with moments of inertia and velocities with angular velocities, the results are not realistic. The issue lies in only conserving angular momentum about the center of mass, rather than the total angular momentum considering the position vectors from the point of contact. The solution suggested is to use the point of contact as the origin for the center of mass.
cmcraes
Hi all! I'm currently working on a graphics/physics engine. The following Wikipedia page was extremely helpful in making rectilinear collisions look natural: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elastic_collision#Two-dimensional

Specifically, the very general vector form of the equation on the bottom of the page.

I know the equations of conservation of energy and angular momentum are analogous enough that there should be some angular equivalent of said formula in terms of moments of inertia and angular velocities, but when I input this analogy (all M's become I's and all v's become w's), this system doesn’t look realistic.

Is there an equation analogous to the one on the bottom of the above page which would provide me with realistic collision physics of rotating objects?

Thank you!

Science news on Phys.org
I think that just changing masses to moments of inertia and velocities to angular velocities is not enough. You are only conserving angular momentum about the center of mass but not of the center of mass. The total angular momentum of a spinning object of mass m as it moves with linear momentum ##\vec{p}## is given by ##\vec{L}=I~\vec{\omega}+\vec{r}\times \vec{p}##. Here ##\vec{r}## is the position vector from an appropriate origin of the center of mass of each object. I would pick the point of contact. See if that fixes things for you.

1. What is the purpose of unlocking realistic rotational collisions?

The purpose of unlocking realistic rotational collisions is to accurately simulate the behavior of rotating objects when they collide with other objects in a virtual environment. This can enhance the realism and immersion of virtual simulations and games.

2. How do physics and graphics engines work together to achieve realistic rotational collisions?

Physics engines use mathematical algorithms to calculate the physical interactions between objects, while graphics engines use visual rendering techniques to display these interactions in a realistic and visually appealing manner. By combining these two technologies, realistic rotational collisions can be achieved in virtual environments.

3. What are some challenges in implementing realistic rotational collisions?

One challenge is accurately calculating the rotational motion of objects, which involves considering factors such as angular momentum, torque, and inertia. Another challenge is ensuring smooth and visually pleasing animations of objects rotating and colliding with each other.

4. Are there any specific industries or fields that can benefit from realistic rotational collisions?

Yes, industries such as video game development, virtual reality, and engineering simulations can benefit from realistic rotational collisions. These technologies can also be applied in fields such as medicine, where accurate simulations of human movements and collisions can aid in surgical training.

5. What are some potential future developments in the field of realistic rotational collisions?

Some potential developments include the use of machine learning and artificial intelligence to improve the accuracy and realism of rotational collisions, as well as the integration of haptic feedback technology to enhance the sensory experience of these collisions. Additionally, advancements in hardware and processing power may allow for more complex and detailed simulations in the future.