The Mystery of Darrell Griffith's Standing Vertical Jump

In summary, the conversation discusses the vertical jump record of basketball player Darrell Griffith and uses Newton's laws to calculate the average force he applied to the ground during the jump.
SteveVer256
Okay, here's the deal:

Basketball player Darrell Griffith is on record as attaining a standing vertical jump of 1.2 m (4 ft). (This means that he moved upward by 1.2 m after his feet left the floor.) Griffith weighed 890 N (200 lb).

(B) If the time of the part of the jump before his feet left the floor was 0.300 s, what was the magnitude of his average acceleration while he was pushing against the floor?
16.2 m/s Correct

Use Newton's laws and the results of part (B) to calculate the average force he applied to the ground.

Okay, I tried various methods of solving this that have all failed (says it is wrong). I have two tries left - so any ideas?

Numbers I have tried:

If I am close to within about 5 digits, it will tell me. So far, I haven't even had that luck.

Anyone?

Physics news on Phys.org
16.2 m/s cannot be correct, as it is a velocity. The question asks for acceleration. I get 16 feet per second squared.

SteveVer256 said:
(B) If the time of the part of the jump before his feet left the floor was 0.300 s, what was the magnitude of his average acceleration while he was pushing against the floor?
16.2 m/s Correct
Right. I assume you meant 16.2 [itex]m/s^2[/itex]. (Units matter!)
Use Newton's laws and the results of part (B) to calculate the average force he applied to the ground.
Identify the forces acting on the man, then apply Newton's 2nd law:
[tex]F_{net} = ma[/tex].

Realize, from Newton's 3rd law, that the force that the floor exerts on the man is equal and opposite to the force that the man exerts on the floor.

What is the purpose of studying Darrell Griffith's standing vertical jump?

The purpose of studying Darrell Griffith's standing vertical jump is to understand the factors that contribute to his exceptional athletic ability and to potentially gain insights that can be applied to improve the performance of other athletes.

How does Darrell Griffith's standing vertical jump compare to other athletes?

Darrell Griffith's standing vertical jump has been measured at 48 inches, which is considered to be one of the highest jumps in the history of the NBA. This places him in the top percentile of vertical jumpers among professional basketball players.

What role do genetics play in Darrell Griffith's standing vertical jump?

While genetics can play a role in determining an individual's athletic ability, it is not the sole factor in Darrell Griffith's standing vertical jump. His training, technique, and dedication to his sport also contribute significantly to his impressive jump.

What training methods did Darrell Griffith use to achieve his standing vertical jump?

Darrell Griffith utilized a combination of strength training, plyometrics, and specific jump training to improve his standing vertical jump. He also focused on improving his speed, agility, and explosiveness through drills and workouts tailored to his sport.

Can the knowledge gained from studying Darrell Griffith's standing vertical jump be applied to other sports or activities?

While the specific techniques and training methods used by Darrell Griffith may not directly translate to other sports or activities, the principles of building strength, power, and agility can be applied to various physical pursuits. Additionally, the determination and dedication demonstrated by Griffith can serve as inspiration for anyone looking to improve their athletic ability.