Vertical Jump Time Calculation for Basketball Player

In summary, the problem involves a basketball player jumping 74.7 cm vertically near the basket. The goal is to determine the time spent at the top and bottom 10.6 cm of the jump. Using the equations v=v0+at and x-x0=v0*t-.5at^2, the initial velocity is solved for and substituted into the second equation to find the time spent at the top and bottom of the jump to be 0.0287s and 0.753s, respectively. More details of the attempt and data given in the question are needed to solve the problem correctly.
Fox_Hound

Homework Statement

1.A basketball player, standing near the basket to grab a rebound, jumps 74.7 cm vertically.
A) How much time does the player spend in the top 10.6 cm of his jump?
B)How much time does the player spend in the bottom 10.6 cm of the jump?

Homework Equations

1)v=v0 + at
2)x-x0=v0*t -.5at^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I solved for V=3.83 m/s then i substituted that into the second equation and came out with time spent at top=.0287s and at the bottom=.753s

I only 3 more tries to get the problem right but I am trying to figure what I am doing wrong and how to solve it.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm afraid you'll need to give more details of your attempt. How did you manage to "solve for v"? Both of the equations you mention need a v0, and I don't see one in your data...

It would perhaps help if you identify what data you have been given in the question (i.e., name it –*this number is an acceleration, that one is an initial velocity) and what you want to find out.

What is the Constant Acceleration Problem?

The Constant Acceleration Problem is a physics problem that involves calculating the motion of an object with constant acceleration. This type of problem is commonly used to understand the motion of objects in free fall or on inclined planes.

How do you solve the Constant Acceleration Problem?

To solve the Constant Acceleration Problem, you will need to use the equations of motion, which include displacement, velocity, and acceleration. These equations can be used to calculate the unknown variables, such as time, distance, or acceleration, depending on the given information.

What are the key concepts involved in the Constant Acceleration Problem?

The key concepts involved in the Constant Acceleration Problem include the relationships between displacement, velocity, and acceleration, as well as the use of vector quantities and the application of Newton's Second Law of Motion.

How does air resistance affect the Constant Acceleration Problem?

In most cases, air resistance is neglected in the Constant Acceleration Problem because it is assumed that the object is moving in a vacuum. However, in real-world situations, air resistance can significantly affect an object's motion and should be taken into account when solving the problem.

What are some real-world applications of the Constant Acceleration Problem?

The Constant Acceleration Problem has many real-world applications, including understanding the motion of objects in free fall, predicting the trajectory of projectiles, and designing roller coasters and other amusement park rides. It is also used in the fields of engineering, astronomy, and sports science.