Unproven claim in Weinberg's textbook

• Thread starter dEdt
  • Start date

Main Question or Discussion Point

In his Lectures on Quantum Mechanics, Weinberg makes the following claim about solutions to the Schrodinger equation for a central potential: Suppose [itex]\psi(\mathbf{x},t)[/itex] is an eigenfunction of [itex]H[/itex], [itex]\mathbf{L}^2[/itex], and [itex]L_z[/itex]. According to Weinberg, "since [itex]\mathbf{L}^2[/itex] acts only on angles, such a wavefunction must be proportional to a function only of angles, with a coefficient of proportionality [itex]R[/itex] that can depend only on [itex]r[/itex]. That is, for all r,
[tex]\psi(\mathbf{x})=R(r)Y(\theta,\phi)."[/tex]

He does not elaborate further on this, in my view, non-trivial statement. Can someone here provide a proof of his claim?

Answers and Replies

Nugatory
Mentor
He does not elaborate further on this, in my view, non-trivial statement. Can someone here provide a proof of his claim?
I'd be inclined to work on the intuition behind that claim instead of looking for a rigorous proof, because the general idea is useful in so many other problems.

But first, which part of the statement are you asking about? The part about ##L^2## acting only on ##\theta## and ##\phi##, or the claim that this implies the ##R(r)Y(\theta,\phi)## form of the solution?

I'm talking about the claim that [itex]\psi=R(r)Y(\theta,\phi)[/itex] given that [itex]\mathbf{L}^2[/itex] acts only on angles.

dextercioby
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
This is trivial once you consider the uniparticle Hilbert space for the 'dummy' particle 'moving' aroung the CoM. Its Hilbert space is L^2(R^3) = L^2 (R) X L^2 (R) X L^2 (R) and after performing a unitary transformation of the whole space you have that L^2(R^3) ~ L^((0,infinity),dr) X L^2 (S^2,dOmega).

In the position space the wavefunction of the 'dummy' particle would be then a product of a (sq integrable) function of r times a product of a function of spherical angles.