Unraveling the Dynamics of Phonon-Electron Interactions in Solids

In summary, the concept of phonons not being in local thermal equilibrium was discussed. It was explained that phonons lose momentum by interacting with electrons and imperfections in the crystal, and this interaction can lead to a current running from cold to warm in materials where the majority carriers are electrons. The conversation also touched on the topic of using Wikipedia as a source for physics information and the potential limitations and alternatives.
NJV
From Wikipedia:
"Phonons are not always in local thermal equilibrium; they move along the thermal gradient. They lose momentum by interacting with electrons (or other carriers) and imperfections in the crystal. If the phonon-electron interaction is predominant, the phonons will tend to push the electrons to one end of the material, losing momentum in the process."

Along the thermal gradient? That'd mean the current would run from cold to warm?

Physics news on Phys.org
They are not being very careful with the choice of words. "Against" would be accurate. You should edit it.

Incidentally, in a material where the majority carriers are electrons, the phonon drag current will run from cold to warm (since the current direction is opposite the drift velocity for negative charges).

Thank you very much. :)

Incidentally, in a material where the majority carriers are electrons, the phonon drag current will run from cold to warm (since the current direction is opposite the drift velocity for negative charges).

Ah yes, just that idiot convention based on the 19th century mistake that electrons had positive charge, you mean? Alright, thanks for pointing that out.

Just out of curiosity, is there a specific reason you were reading a wiki on phonon drag?

I am often very curious, so it can occur that when I'm searching for the answer to on question I end up in a chain reaction of questions. I was writing in a sci-fi novel and needed particulars on how one could store heat, to cool overheated brain cells through nanorobots. One thing leads to another; first I searched for information on volumetric heat capacity, on erbium-alloy based heat exchangers, on magnetic refrigeration, on the magnetocaloric effect and finally on thermoelectricity and the Seebeck effect. I used a combination of some of these phenomena in my sci-fi technology, which would, admittedly, probably be as impracticable as an airplane without stabilizer, but at least it sounds more plausible now I have some technical backup.

Either how, writing science fiction can be very stimulating to one's curiosity.

And why I was reading a wiki, well, I know Wikipedia's not a very good source for physics, but it's by far the most concise I know. If you know any better sites for physics, I'd be thankful if you could share them.

I was going to say that you probably shouldn't use wikipedia as a final source if this is for college/grad school. Good luck with the book.

1. What are phonon-electron interactions?

Phonon-electron interactions refer to the interaction between phonons, which are quantized lattice vibrations in a solid, and electrons, which are charged particles that make up the material. These interactions play a crucial role in determining the thermal, electrical, and optical properties of materials.

2. How do phonon-electron interactions affect thermal conductivity?

Phonon-electron interactions can scatter phonons, causing them to lose energy and decrease their contribution to thermal conductivity. This can lead to a decrease in thermal conductivity in materials with high electron-phonon coupling, such as metals.

3. What is the role of phonon-electron interactions in electrical conductivity?

In materials with strong phonon-electron interactions, phonons can scatter electrons, leading to an increase in electrical resistance. This is known as phonon drag and can be observed in materials like semiconductors at low temperatures.

4. How do phonon-electron interactions affect the optical properties of materials?

Phonon-electron interactions can cause phonons to absorb or emit photons, leading to changes in the optical properties of a material. This can be seen in the phenomenon of Raman scattering, where the energy and momentum of a scattered photon are affected by the phonon modes in the material.

5. Can phonon-electron interactions be controlled?

Yes, phonon-electron interactions can be controlled through various methods such as changing the temperature or pressure of the material, doping with impurities, or using external fields like electric or magnetic fields. Understanding and controlling these interactions is essential for optimizing the properties of materials for various applications.