Unsure why I am getting this mesh analysis problem wrong

In summary, when solving mesh problems, it is important to make initial assumptions about current directions and stick to them. The choice between clockwise or counterclockwise direction does not matter, as long as it is consistent throughout the problem. When writing equations for each loop, use the assumed direction of current flow in that loop. If the solution gives a negative current, it means the actual current flows in the opposite direction to the initial assumption. It is also important to sketch in the mesh currents in the circuit diagram to visualize the potential changes caused by each current.
influx
untitlkok.png

I considered loop I1 and got the correct equation for it. Then I applied the mesh analysis method to loop I2 but I'm getting one term wrong (its sign).

Starting in the top left corner of loop I2, 30I2 - 90(I2 -I3) - 5(I1 - I2) = 0

Everything is correct apart from the -90, its supposed to be +90 according to the answer provided to me. However, if you start in the top left corner of loop I2 and travel clockwise, you enter the 90 ohm resistor at the negative end. So surely its -90 rather than +90? I've been using this method successfully so far but I am unsure why its not working here..Thanks

PS: I assumed I1 > I2 > I3

Physics news on Phys.org
When you come to a resistor which is shared by two loops, what matters is that you write the proper equation for each loop, using the assumed direction of current flow in each loop you made initially. As long as you write the proper equations for each loop, the solution of the unknown currents should give you the proper values. If they don't, you have made a mistake in writing the equation. If the solution gives you a negative current, it just means that the actual current flows in the direction opposite to your initial assumption.

For the problem above, you can't tell for certain that you have made a mistake until you write out and solve all three loop equations.

influx said:
untitlkok.png

I considered loop I1 and got the correct equation for it. Then I applied the mesh analysis method to loop I2 but I'm getting one term wrong (its sign).

Starting in the top left corner of loop I2, 30I2 - 90(I2 -I3) - 5(I1 - I2) = 0

Everything is correct apart from the -90, its supposed to be +90 according to the answer provided to me. However, if you start in the top left corner of loop I2 and travel clockwise, you enter the 90 ohm resistor at the negative end. So surely its -90 rather than +90? I've been using this method successfully so far but I am unsure why its not working here..

Thanks

PS: I assumed I1 > I2 > I3

Assuming relationships between current magnitudes doesn't get you anywhere in mesh problems. What matters is making an initial assumption about current directions and then sticking to it.

Usually the choice is to make all the mesh currents either clockwise or counterclockwise. This means that components that are shared by two loops will have the two currents passing through it moving in opposite directions, and so their individual potential changes will also oppose (have opposite sign) in a given equation. So labeling a single "+ -" potential change across each component only makes sense for components where all the currents passing through it do so in the same direction.

In your circuit diagram you should sketch in the mesh currents so that you can visualize the potential changes caused by each current as you do your "KVL walk" around each loop.

attachment.php?attachmentid=66088&stc=1&d=1390908956.gif

Attachments

• Fig1.gif
    Fig1.gif
    5.7 KB · Views: 546
Likes 1 person

1. Why am I getting a different answer than the expected result?

There could be several reasons for this. It's possible that there is an error in your calculations, or that you are using the wrong formula. Double-check your work and make sure you are using the correct equations for mesh analysis.

2. Is there a specific order in which I should analyze the meshes?

Yes, it is important to analyze the meshes in a specific order to ensure accuracy. Start with the mesh that has the most elements, then move on to the next largest mesh, and so on. This will help prevent errors in your calculations.

3. What if I have a dependent voltage or current source in my circuit?

If you have a dependent source in your circuit, you will need to use an additional equation to solve for the dependent variable. This equation can be obtained by using the source's relationship with the other elements in the mesh.

4. Can I use mesh analysis for circuits with multiple voltage or current sources?

Yes, mesh analysis can be used for circuits with multiple sources. However, it may be more time-consuming and complex compared to using other analysis methods such as nodal analysis. It is important to carefully label and keep track of the variables in your equations when dealing with multiple sources.

5. How do I know if my mesh analysis solution is correct?

You can check the accuracy of your solution by using Kirchhoff's Voltage Law (KVL) and Kirchhoff's Current Law (KCL) to verify that the current and voltage values in each mesh are consistent with the equations you used. Additionally, you can use simulation software or a physical circuit to compare your results with the expected values.