Unveiling the Beauty of the Universe: Hubble's Latest Images in High Definition

In summary, new images have been released from Nasa, showcasing the recently refurbished Hubble Space Telescope's increased power and capabilities. These images include stunning views of a "butterfly" nebula, a colorful star cluster, a group of galaxies, and a pillar of creation. While some may question the authenticity of these images, experts assure that they are real and not digitally enhanced. Though some may see pixel noise in the darker areas, this is due to the limitations of the telescope and does not take away from the scientific value of the images. Overall, these new images are a testament to the amazing technology and discoveries that the Hubble Space Telescope continues to provide.
joono
New Images just released from Nasa-
So happy we still have Hubble!

They're everywhere on online, though
You can find them on Youtube, at "Hubble Spectacular First Light Images in HD".

cheers,
joono

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Souped-Up Hubble Makes A Comeback
by Nell Greenfieldboyce

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=112684702

New images from the recently refurbished Hubble Space Telescope show that the 19-year-old observatory is now more powerful than ever.

Ever since astronauts traveled to the orbiting observatory in May and did a variety of upgrades, scientists have been testing and calibrating the telescope. At a press conference at NASA headquarters in Washington, D.C., officials released some images to demonstrate that the new and improved Hubble is working as planned.

The pictures show awe-inspiring cosmic scenes such as a "butterfly" nebula around a dying star, the stunningly colorful core of a giant star cluster, a quintet of galaxies, and a so-called pillar of creation where stars are being born.

http://www.hubblesite.org/newscenter/archive/releases/2009/25/

Looking forward to more great images! :cool:

Astronuc said:
Souped-Up Hubble Makes A Comeback
by Nell Greenfieldboyce

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=112684702

http://www.hubblesite.org/newscenter/archive/releases/2009/25/

Looking forward to more great images! :cool:

All images I've ever seen from the Hubble have left me in awe. Which is why I have concluded they were all made in photoshop (nothing that beautiful can exist in real life).

:D joking. These are really some more GREAT pictures to add to the Hubble collection. Just keeps gettin better 'nd better.

I too am in awe of the images of the universe as seen through the 'eye' of Hubble Space Telescope. Of course digital technology could be used to generate such pictures, and in the past we've seen digitally or colour enhanced images. But I've seen similar pictures through a reflector telescope without enhancement - so I know they are more or less real.

Too bad they are not good for desktop wallpaper - tried a few, turned out grainy. Photoshop definitely needs to play on those.

smallphi said:
Too bad they are not good for desktop wallpaper - tried a few, turned out grainy. Photoshop definitely needs to play on those.

Which image did you download? I downloaded the large version of the lensing cluster Abell~370 and it looks pretty good as a wallpaper.

Tried a few in the wallpaper section. All have multicolored pixel noise, especially the nebulaes. My monitor is 1680x1050 pixels and I can clearly see non-uniform colors and colored noise in the darker areas, it's either they didn't process the pics well or it's just limitation of the telescope itself.

I see some on the first one, but it looks like a crop and blow-up of the HUDF. The crab neubla looks good to me.

Generally, though, they don't apply all the processing amateurs do - smoothing the image would decrease the real data and decrease the scientific value.

smallphi said:
Tried a few in the wallpaper section. All have multicolored pixel noise, especially the nebulaes. My monitor is 1680x1050 pixels and I can clearly see non-uniform colors and colored noise in the darker areas, it's either they didn't process the pics well or it's just limitation of the telescope itself.

Here is a link to the Abell 370 very large image:

http://www.hubblesite.org/newscenter/archive/releases/2009/25/image/ao/warn/"

I'm not sure if you downloaded these large versions, but they are available for the other images, too.

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Unveiling the Beauty of the Universe: Hubble's Latest Images in High Definition

1. What is the significance of the first new images from Hubble?

The first new images from Hubble are significant because they provide us with a never-before-seen view of our universe. These images allow us to explore and study distant galaxies, stars, and other celestial objects in great detail, leading to new insights and discoveries about the origins and evolution of the universe.

2. How often does Hubble capture new images?

Hubble captures new images on a regular basis, typically several times a week. However, the frequency may vary depending on the specific observations and targets being studied by the telescope at any given time.

3. How does Hubble produce these images?

Hubble produces images by using its powerful optical and infrared instruments to capture light from distant objects in space. This light is then converted into digital data, which is transmitted back to Earth for processing and analysis by scientists and astronomers.

4. Can anyone access the new images from Hubble?

Yes, the new images from Hubble are publicly available and can be accessed through various online platforms, such as NASA's Hubble website and the Hubble Space Telescope social media accounts. These images are also used in educational materials to inspire and educate the general public about astronomy and space exploration.

5. What can we learn from the first new images from Hubble?

The first new images from Hubble can provide us with valuable information about the age, size, and composition of distant galaxies and other celestial objects. By studying these images, scientists can also learn more about the processes that govern the formation and evolution of the universe, as well as gain insights into the mysteries of dark matter and dark energy.