Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Up Coming Exam

1. Jun 7, 2007 #1
    This term we have been studying B-Fields (Magnetic Fields), Electromagnetic Induction and A.C. Theory (High School Physics). We've been given the Exam outline and upon checking what will be in Complex Reasoning (Part C of the Exam), it labelled "Terminal Velocity on conductors falling through magnetic fields" as the first question. I asked specifically about what I'd need to know for handling this question and my teacher stated " a current carrying wire passing through a B-Field" which at once got me confused with the relativity to the exam outline. They are both connected somehow, but i just don't know. Sorry if this sounds stupid, but, does the velocity of electrons get altered as they pass through a magnetic field? If anyone has any ideas please reply!! Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 7, 2007 #2

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

4. Jun 7, 2007 #3
    I think he's talking about the falling magnet experiment, except in reverse.
    Say you drop a conductor a magnetic field. Then relative to conductor, the magnetic field is moving, which induces a current in the conductor, and then you've got a current that induces a magnetic force that opposes the force of gravity on the conductor, thus slowing the conductor down.

Oh and if you can, get a magnet and drop it through a metal tube. What happens is pretty cool

Last edited: Jun 7, 2007
  5. Jun 7, 2007 #4

Mentz114

Gold Member

6. Jun 8, 2007 #5
    try to find something about the open right hand rule
    it'll tell u everything

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook