Exploring B-Fields and Electrons: Terminal Velocity?

In summary, the conversation discusses the topics of B-Fields, Electromagnetic Induction, and A.C. Theory in a high school physics class. The conversation also mentions a specific question on the exam regarding terminal velocity on conductors falling through magnetic fields. The discussion then shifts to the topic of a current carrying wire passing through a magnetic field and the potential alteration of electron velocity. Finally, there is a suggestion to use a falling magnet experiment to better understand the concept of magnetically induced eddy currents.
The_Teacher
This term we have been studying B-Fields (Magnetic Fields), Electromagnetic Induction and A.C. Theory (High School Physics). We've been given the Exam outline and upon checking what will be in Complex Reasoning (Part C of the Exam), it labelled "Terminal Velocity on conductors falling through magnetic fields" as the first question. I asked specifically about what I'd need to know for handling this question and my teacher stated " a current carrying wire passing through a B-Field" which at once got me confused with the relativity to the exam outline. They are both connected somehow, but i just don't know. Sorry if this sounds stupid, but, does the velocity of electrons get altered as they pass through a magnetic field? If anyone has any ideas please reply! Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
I think he's talking about the falling magnet experiment, except in reverse.
Say you drop a conductor a magnetic field. Then relative to conductor, the magnetic field is moving, which induces a current in the conductor, and then you've got a current that induces a magnetic force that opposes the force of gravity on the conductor, thus slowing the conductor down.

Oh and if you can, get a magnet and drop it through a metal tube. What happens is pretty cool

Last edited:
try to find something about the open right hand rule
it'll tell u everything

1. What is a B-field and how does it affect electrons?

A B-field, or magnetic field, is a region in space where a magnetic force can be detected. It is created by moving electric charges or magnetic dipoles. B-fields affect electrons because they are charged particles that experience a force when moving through a magnetic field.

2. What is terminal velocity and how is it related to B-fields?

Terminal velocity is the maximum velocity that an object can achieve when falling through a fluid, such as air. In the context of B-fields and electrons, terminal velocity refers to the maximum speed that an electron can reach when moving through a B-field. This velocity is dependent on the strength of the B-field and the charge and mass of the electron.

3. How does the direction of the B-field affect the motion of electrons?

The direction of the B-field determines the direction of the magnetic force experienced by the electron. If the B-field is perpendicular to the direction of motion of the electron, the electron will experience a force that causes it to move in a circular path. If the B-field is parallel to the direction of motion, the electron will experience no force and continue to move in a straight line.

4. What is the relationship between B-fields and electron orbits?

B-fields play a crucial role in determining the shape and stability of electron orbits. In a uniform B-field, the electron will move in a circular orbit, while in a non-uniform B-field, the electron may move in a spiral or helical path. The strength of the B-field also affects the size and speed of the electron orbit.

5. How are B-fields and electrons used in scientific research and technology?

B-fields and electrons have a wide range of applications in scientific research and technology. In physics, they are used in particle accelerators to accelerate and manipulate electrons and other charged particles. In medical imaging, B-fields and electrons are used in MRI machines to produce detailed images of the body's internal structures. They are also used in electronics, such as in cathode ray tubes, to control the movement of electrons for display purposes.