Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Update NVIDIA Video Drivers

1. Jul 21, 2008 #1
    Hey Everyone

My knowledge of computers is pretty much near to nothing. I've just put Counter Strike on my laptop, which is a PC game played online. The game sometimes has to reboot due to the fact that my drivers need updating, even when I start the game it says that I may need to update. Could someone guide me in the right direction in terms of Drivers.

I am using Windows XP, and my driver is the NVIDIA GeForce Go 6150. I'm not really sure what do now to be honest. I would assume it just needs to be updated?

Do any of you know if I could change my driver thingy, what would work well for online gaming?

Thanks!

_Mayday_

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 21, 2008 #2

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Nvidia is very good about their drivers. Go here select your video card and operating system, Follow the directions.

4. Jul 21, 2008 #3

Defennder

Homework Helper

Is it advisable to use custom made video drivers such as that by http://www.omegadrivers.net/ ? I've heard others say that they're better than the ones by their manufacturers.

5. Jul 21, 2008 #4

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

I would never recommend that a complete noob use custom video drivers.

6. Jul 21, 2008 #5

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I don't think that you can get much better then the Nvidia drivers. There may be special cases where something else is better, but not for a off the shelf system running off the shelf software.

7. Jul 21, 2008 #6
    Thanks for all the response, I've followed the first link Integral posted, and it asks for the product series, I have no idea what the product series is. Mine says GO6150 but that isn't an option.

Its between:

GeForce 200 series
    GeForce 9 Series
    GeForce 8 Series
    GeForce 7 Series
    GeForce 6 Series
    GeForce 5 FX Series
    GeForce 4 MX Series

I don't know :confused:

8. Jul 21, 2008 #7
    If you bought a name brand laptop or PC then you usually need to goto the manufacturs website to download the current drivers.

9. Jul 21, 2008 #8
    You could also run windows update and see if they show up.

Also, you have a mobile chipset, so choose the correct mobile chipset, not the one for desktops.

10. Jul 21, 2008 #9

Defennder

Homework Helper

Yours should be under the GeForce 6 Series.

11. Jul 21, 2008 #10
    Also make sure that you completely remove the old drivers before installing the new ones to avoid any errors or conflicts.

12. Jul 21, 2008 #11
    I've just downloaded it for Vista! Bah, its a shame I have XP, ill give it another go lol!

13. Aug 13, 2008 #12
    I'm still struggling here everyone! :cry:

I need to find a free update for my video drivers, but I am on an HP Pavillion laptop. Ive been on their site, but I have no idea what I am looking for.

I have...."NVIDIA GeForce Go 6150" and want an upgrade. Maybe there isn't a free option, but can someone please help me out here!

Thanks!

14. Aug 13, 2008 #13
  15. Aug 13, 2008 #14
    I'll give that a try greg, thank you!

16. Aug 13, 2008 #15
    I've started downloading and it now says:

The drivers you are installing are older than the drivers currently installed on your system. DO you wish to continue and install the older drivers?

17. Aug 17, 2008 #16
    Anyone know how I can tackle this problem?

18. Aug 17, 2008 #17
    What is the problem, looks like you have the most recent driver already installed.

19. Aug 17, 2008 #18
    Here is the message when I start up the game. It's Counter Strike: Source btw. Please not that the driver specs are not mine, but just one I found on google images. Also the option at the bottom talking about driver update page, well it doesn't work for any users of the game.

[​IMG]

20. Aug 18, 2008 #19
    Are you able to run the game at all?

21. Aug 18, 2008 #20
    I used two softwares when I needed drivers for XP

http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html
    and
    Driver Detective

Driver detective would tell you if you have the latest driver.

If not, find motherboard information from Belrac and google search.

Also, see if your drivers are updated in "Help and support"--> " Use tools to view your computer inf.." -- > my computer information ....

this will show you if you need new driver

And, I think all games have a list of specifications that your computer must meet.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2008
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?