Upper Bound Proof of Sup(SUT)=max{sup(S), sup(T)}

In summary: SUT, there exists a y' (or x') in SUT such that x ≤ y ≤ x' ≤ M.In summary, sup(SUT) = max{sup(S), sup(T)}
STEMucator
Homework Helper

Homework Statement

Prove or disapprove, for non-empty, bounded sets S and T in ℝ :

sup(SUT) = max{sup(S), sup(T)}

Homework Equations

The least upper bound axiom of course.

The Attempt at a Solution

Since we know S and T are non-empty and bounded in the reals, each of them contains a supremum by the least upper bound axiom. Let : L1 = sup(S) ^ L2 = sup(T) be these least upper bounds for S and T respectively.

Since SUT is also a bounded non-empty set, it also contains a supremum by the axiom. Let L = sup(SUT) denote SUT's least upper bound.

We want to show that L = max{L1, L2}

Not quite sure how to proceed from here.

Physics news on Phys.org
Prove that it can't be less and can't be greater.

voko said:
Prove that it can't be less and can't be greater.

Uhm, well since S is a subset of SUT and T is a subset of SUT, we know that SUT which is comprised of all of the points of S and T must also contain the least upper bounds of both sets. That is L1, L2 are in SUT.

Is this the right direction?

This is not true. The least upper bound need not be contained in its set. For example, (0, 1) does not contain its least upper bound, nor does (2, 3), nor will (0, 1) U (2, 3).

voko said:
This is not true. The least upper bound need not be contained in its set. For example, (0, 1) does not contain its least upper bound, nor does (2, 3), nor will (0, 1) U (2, 3).

Ah yes I see, so from what you told me before, I must somehow show :

L1, L2 < L < L1, L2 ?

So for L to be the sup(SUT), it must be an upper bound, that is x ≤ L for all x in SUT.

It also has to be the least upper bound, that is for any upper bound of SUT, say M, L ≤ M.

Are these points relevant? If so I believe I know how to do this.

Zondrina said:
So for L to be the sup(SUT), it must be an upper bound, that is x ≤ L for all x in SUT.

It also has to be the least upper bound, that is for any upper bound of SUT, say M, L ≤ M.

Are these points relevant? If so I believe I know how to do this.

Well, that's the definition of the least upper bound, so it's certainly relevant.

Using your notation, you need to show that both of the following are impossible:

[tex]L < \max(L_1, L_2)[/tex]
[tex]L > \max(L_1, L_2)[/tex]

So start by assuming one of these and finding a contradiction.

Well, these are the definition of the least upper bound. Yes, these could be use to prove that sup SUT is not less and is not greater than max {sup S, sup T}.

Hint: consider what the two inequalities mean.

[itex]L < \max(L_1, L_2)[/itex] means that either [itex]L < L_1[/itex] or [itex]L < L_2[/itex] (or both).

[itex]L > \max(L_1, L_2)[/itex] means that [itex]L > L_1[/itex] and [itex]L > L_2[/itex]

So I'll write out my whole proof below here :

Since we know S and T are non-empty and bounded in the reals, each of them contains a supremum by the least upper bound axiom. Let sup(S) ^ sup(T) be these least upper bounds for S and T respectively.

Since SUT is also a bounded non-empty set, it also contains a supremum by the axiom. Let sup(SUT) denote SUT's least upper bound.

We want to show that sup(SUT) = max{sup(S), sup(T)}. So to do this we want to show sup(SUT) ≤ max{sup(S), sup(T)} and sup(SUT) ≥ max{sup(S), sup(T)}.

To show sup(SUT) ≤ max{sup(S), sup(T)} consider the following :

Suppose x is in S, then we know x ≤ sup(S) ≤ max{sup(S), sup(T)}.
Suppose y is in T, then we know y ≤ sup(T) ≤ max{sup(S), sup(T)}.

Putting these together we know that sup(SUT) ≤ max{sup(S), sup(T)}.

To show sup(SUT) ≥ max{sup(S), sup(T)} let M be an upper bound for SUT. Then consider that since M is an upper bound for the union of S and T, this tells us that either M is an upper bound for S or M is an upper bound for T.

If M is an upper bound for S, then M ≥ sup(S). If M is an upper bound for T, then M ≥ sup(T). So it follows now that sup(SUT) ≥ max{sup(S), sup(T)}.

Now since sup(SUT) ≤ max{sup(S), sup(T)} and sup(SUT) ≥ max{sup(S), sup(T)}, we only have one option left, it must be that sup(SUT) = max{sup(S), sup(T)} as desired.

Zondrina said:
To show sup(SUT) ≥ max{sup(S), sup(T)} let M be an upper bound for SUT. Then consider that since M is an upper bound for the union of S and T, this tells us that either M is an upper bound for S or M is an upper bound for T.

I think it would be more straightforward to say that for any x (or y) from S(or T), x (y) is no greater than M; and because sup S and sup T are the least upper bounds, they are also necessarily no greater than M. Essentially, just like the first part.

voko said:
I think it would be more straightforward to say that for any x (or y) from S(or T), x (y) is no greater than M; and because sup S and sup T are the least upper bounds, they are also necessarily no greater than M. Essentially, just like the first part.

Yes I see what you're saying.

Thanks for the help guys :)

1. What is an Upper Bound Proof?

An Upper Bound Proof is a mathematical technique used to show that a given set of values has a maximum or upper bound. It involves finding the highest possible value that a set can have, and proving that it is indeed the maximum value.

2. How is an Upper Bound Proof used in Sup(SUT)=max{sup(S), sup(T)}?

In this equation, the Upper Bound Proof is used to show that the supremum (or highest possible value) of the set SUT is equal to the maximum of the supremums of sets S and T. This proof is necessary to make this statement mathematically valid.

3. What is the difference between supremum and maximum?

Supremum and maximum are both terms used to describe the highest possible value in a set. However, the supremum is the least upper bound, meaning that it is the smallest value that is still greater than or equal to all other values in the set. The maximum, on the other hand, is simply the largest value in the set.

4. Can an Upper Bound Proof be used to find the maximum value in a set?

Yes, an Upper Bound Proof can be used to find the maximum value in a set. By proving that a given value is the supremum of the set, it can also be shown to be the maximum value since it is the largest value in the set.

5. Are there any limitations to using Upper Bound Proofs?

One limitation of Upper Bound Proofs is that they can only be used for sets that have a finite or countable number of elements. Additionally, the proof may not always be straightforward and may require advanced mathematical techniques, making it difficult for those without a strong mathematical background to understand.