Uranus' satellite Miranda question

In summary, Miranda is the fifth largest moon of Uranus with a diameter of approximately 472 kilometers. It was discovered in 1948 by Gerard Kuiper using the McDonald Observatory's 82-inch Otto Struve Telescope. The moon is primarily made of ice and rock, with a rocky core and a surface of water ice and carbonaceous materials. Miranda has a unique surface with varying levels of geological activity, including large canyons and cliffs. It is much smaller and has a different composition compared to Earth's moon.
Echo 6 Sierra
Wow, wow, and wow! I was looking at this: http://ciclops.org//view_media.php?id=18185" and was amazed my the funky striations or flow patterns or whatever they are called.

How is it that the marks become curved and square shaped? I love these photos!

Last edited by a moderator:
Astronomy news on Phys.org
Wikipedia's article on Miranda has a pretty good description of its surface features. Geologically, it's more interesting than the Earth--volcanism, ice volcanoes, impact events, and tidal friction all contributed to make Miranda what it is today.

Thank you. I didn't think to look there as well. Have a nice day.

Related to Uranus' satellite Miranda question

1. What is the size of Uranus' satellite Miranda?

Miranda has a diameter of approximately 472 kilometers, making it the fifth largest of Uranus' 27 known moons.

2. How was Miranda discovered?

Miranda was discovered by Gerard Kuiper in 1948 using the McDonald Observatory's 82-inch Otto Struve Telescope.

3. What is the composition of Miranda?

Miranda is primarily made up of ice and rock, with a rocky core and a surface of water ice and carbonaceous materials.

4. Does Miranda have any unique features?

Yes, Miranda has a unique surface with varying levels of geological activity, including large canyons and cliffs that may have been formed by tectonic processes.

5. How does Miranda compare to Earth's moon?

Miranda is significantly smaller than Earth's moon, with a diameter about 1/5th the size. It also has a much lower density and a different composition.