Help Solve Integral for Perihelion Advance of Mass m in Potential V(r)

In summary, the perihelion advance of a mass in a potential is a measure of how much the orbit of that mass is affected by the potential. It can be calculated using the formula Δφ = 6πGM/c²a, and is affected by factors such as the mass and distance of the object creating the potential, as well as the velocity of the orbiting mass. This phenomenon is a key prediction of general relativity and can be used to measure the mass of an object, as demonstrated in astrophysics.
stunner5000pt
this is due on wednesday i would really liketo hand it in on time
couple of my questions are in these threads which have not gotten any answers...
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=106913
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=106930

For a particle of mass m moving in a potential [itex] V(r) =\frac{-\alpha}{r} + W(r) [/itex] (alpha>0) where [itex] W = \frac{-a}{r^4} [/itex] is a small perturbation ( in a sense that [itex] W(r) << |\frac{\alpha}{r}| [/itex] for r not too small), calculate the advnace of the perihelion
[tex] 2 \Delta \beta = 2 \frac{\partial}{\partial L} \int_{0}^{\pi} \frac{m}{L} r^2 W d \phi [/tex]
Express your answer in terms of alpha, m, a, L and the eccentricity [tex] \epsilon = \sqrt{1 + \frac{2EL^2}{m \alpha^2} [/tex] and verify that your answer is dimensionless. (rrepresnets an angle in radians)

problem with the intergral is that r depends on phi.
i know that this is true
[tex] \frac{dr}{d \phi} = \frac{r^2 \sqrt{2m(E - V_{e}^{0})}}{L} [/tex]
in this is [tex] E = \frac{1}{2} m \dot{r}^2 + V(r) [/tex]?
also what about [tex] V_{e}^{0} = V_{c} (r) + \frac{L^2}{2mr^2} = \frac{-GMm}{r} + \frac{L^2}{2mr^2} [/tex]
are those two correct? Do i simply substitute those two expressions in the integral for r(phi) and solve for r(phi) thereby i can solve for beta?
Is this correct?

Physics news on Phys.org

I understand your frustration with not receiving any answers to your questions. I can assure you that it is always important to meet deadlines and turn in work on time, so I commend you for wanting to hand in your assignment on time.

To address your first question, yes, the expressions you have for the potential V(r) and W(r) are correct. In this problem, we are looking at a particle of mass m moving in a central potential V(r) and a small perturbation W(r). The perturbation, represented by W(r), is much smaller than the central potential, represented by \frac{\alpha}{r}. This allows us to treat it as a small correction to the central potential.

Now, for the integral, I can see why you might be confused. The key here is to remember that r is a function of phi, as you correctly pointed out. This means that we need to express r in terms of phi in order to properly integrate. The expression you have for \frac{dr}{d\phi} is correct, and it can be derived from the equation of motion for the particle in this potential. However, note that the potential V_{e}^{0} is the effective potential, which takes into account both the central potential and the angular momentum of the particle. So, yes, you can substitute these expressions for r(phi) and solve for beta.

Finally, to verify that your answer is dimensionless, you can simply check the units of each term in your final expression for beta. The terms alpha, m, a, L, and epsilon all have the same units (mass, length, and energy), so they will cancel out and leave you with a dimensionless quantity, as expected.

I hope this helps clarify your doubts. If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to ask. Good luck with your assignment!

1. What is the significance of the perihelion advance of mass m in potential V(r)?

The perihelion advance of a mass in a potential is a measure of how much the orbit of that mass is affected by the potential. It is particularly important in the study of general relativity, as it provides evidence for the warping of spacetime by massive objects.

2. How is the perihelion advance of mass m in potential V(r) calculated?

The perihelion advance can be calculated using the formula Δφ = 6πGM/c²a, where G is the gravitational constant, M is the mass of the object creating the potential, c is the speed of light, and a is the semi-major axis of the orbit.

3. What factors affect the perihelion advance of mass m in potential V(r)?

The perihelion advance is affected by the mass and distance of the object creating the potential, as well as the velocity of the orbiting mass. It is also influenced by the shape and strength of the potential itself.

4. How does the perihelion advance of mass m in potential V(r) relate to general relativity?

The perihelion advance is a key prediction of general relativity, as it demonstrates how the curvature of spacetime affects the motion of objects. The observed value of the perihelion advance for certain objects, like Mercury, matches the value predicted by general relativity.

5. Can the perihelion advance of mass m in potential V(r) be used to measure the mass of an object?

Yes, the perihelion advance can be used to determine the mass of an object creating a potential. By measuring the perihelion advance and using the formula mentioned in question 2, the mass of the object can be calculated. This has been successfully applied in astrophysics to measure the masses of black holes and other massive objects.