US Kills Osama so in Response, the Taliban Attacks

• News
  • Thread starter russ_watters
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Response
In summary, the Taliban attacks Pakistan after the US kills Osama bin Laden. The US responded by saying that they would not protect Pakistan and that they would retaliate against the Taliban. The Taliban stated that they killed 80 people in order to show the US that they could easily retaliate.
russ_watters
Mentor
US Kills Osama so in Response, the Taliban Attacks...

...Pakistan? Really?

A pair of Taliban suicide bombers attacked paramilitary police recruits eagerly heading home for a break after months of training, killing 80 people Friday in the first act of retaliation for the U.S. raid that killed Osama bin Laden.
http://www.usatoday.com/news/world/2011-05-13-pakistan-bomb_n.htm

Nothin says "marginalized" like attacking an innocent and unwilling bystander in the raid on Bin Laden instead of attacking those who killed him! It's pathetic - even counter productive - and great to see (the marginalization, not the deaths of police recruits).

Physics news on Phys.org

They really showed us with that one.

??

russ_watters said:
Nothin says "marginalized" like attacking an innocent and unwilling bystander in the raid on Bin Laden instead of attacking those who killed him! It's pathetic - even counter productive - and great to see (the marginalization, not the deaths of police recruits).

Pff, even worse, they attacked a country that probably was protecting him!.

Childish really. Holding their breath until they turn blue is bound to be next. I've never heard of anyone actually dying from that. Too bad I suppose.

drankin said:
They really showed us with that one.

??

Yessir I am so thoroughly "showed" now that I promise to never ever ever harm a terrorist again.

i don't find it credible that pakistan was caught by surprise when US troops invaded and captured OBL. i find it much more likely that they knew we were coming and simply stood out of the way. that is, they cooperated. and that cooperation is likely what is being retaliated here. it's unfortunate, but it's hardly surprising.

There are two Taliban - the Taliban we're fighting in Afghanistan who've been around since the early 1990's and many of whom are ex-Mujaheddin.

The Taliban described in this story are the Tehrik-i-Taliban Pakistan, or the "Pakistani Taliban" - they are a separate group formed by Pakistan Islamists in the past few years whose goal is to over-throw the Pakistani government.

The two groups have completely different goals and are run by completely different people. Do not confuse the two. And this attack makes sense, from their perspective.

Yes, no surprise here. Overthrow of the government is the aim. I think that Pakistan would also be the easiest place to quickly retaliate for OBL death.

russ_watters said:
Nothin says "marginalized" like attacking an innocent and unwilling bystander in the raid on Bin Laden instead of attacking those who killed him!

Possibly, some people are already addressing your "concerns" about attacking the wrong targets: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-13401116

SEALS and their families are provided proper security. Even without that it is not easy to target US.

Pengwuino said:
Pff, even worse, they attacked a country that probably was protecting him!.

Doesn't make the deaths of those who were killed any more palatable or just. If we wish to provide better security to the people of Afghanistan then we need the help of the Government and Security forces in Pakistan. Whilst the ISI or whoever may have been sheltering Bin Laden, the retaliation and murder of 80 innocent people will ultimately hurt our efforts in Afghanistan in the long run.

Ehsanullah Ehsan (Tehrik-i-Taliban Pakistan spokesman) stated that the attacks were retaliation for killing OBL because they perceive Pakistan's government as giving the U.S. impunity for the raid, for their close ties to the U.S., for the money the U.S. gives them to fight their interests, for having any diplomatic channels at all, for providing U.S. military access through their country for a route to Afghanistan, for letting the "infidels" on their land. As they see it, it was too easy for the U.S. to find OBL and kill him. This taliban has close ties with al-Qaeda, trained with them, traded supplies and money and skills and experts.

TheMadMonk said:
Doesn't make the deaths of those who were killed any more palatable or just.

I didn't say it does.

I don't think it was wise on the Obama part to over-hype and publicize this mission.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-13379298

Journalists have descended on Virginia where the Seals are based to try to glean more details of the unit and retired Seals members are in high demand as guests on news broadcasts.

Mr Gates said details of the raid had leaked despite the intention by officials to keep them secret.

"Frankly a week ago Sunday, in the [White House] situation room, we all agreed that we would not release any operational details from the effort to take out Bin Laden," he said.

"That all fell apart on Monday, the next day."

Averagesupernova said:
Childish really. Holding their breath until they turn blue is bound to be next.
Or the Cleavon Little hostage routine from Blazing Saddles:

Warning: viewer discretion recommended
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fFl3pWbfVX8

http://www.npr.org/2011/08/07/139062861/navy-seals-mourn-heavy-loss-in-afghanistan"
Some two dozen members of SEAL Team 6, based outside Norfolk, Va., were among 30 American servicemen killed Saturday when their helicopter came under fire during an operation in eastern Afghanistan.

The SEAL team swept into Wardak Province at night, aboard a lumbering Chinook helicopter. Their mission: Take down a suspected Taliban compound.

Just as they were arriving, the helicopter exploded in flames. Officials believe a rocket-propelled grenade slammed into the helicopter, killing all on board.

Most of the dead were part of the same commando unit that killed Osama bin Laden back in May, though officials said none of the SEALs killed in the crash took part in the bin Laden raid.

Other SEALs killed came from Coronado, Calif. Seven Afghan commandoes were also among the dead.

A very sad day indeed...

Rhody...

Last edited by a moderator:

1. Why did the US kill Osama bin Laden?

The US killed Osama bin Laden in response to the terrorist attacks he orchestrated on September 11th, 2001. The US considered him a threat to national security and wanted to bring him to justice for his role in the attacks.

2. How did the Taliban respond to the death of Osama bin Laden?

In response to the death of Osama bin Laden, the Taliban launched a series of attacks on US and NATO forces in Afghanistan. They saw bin Laden as a heroic figure and his death as a catalyst for further violence against the US.

3. Did the US expect the Taliban to attack in response to bin Laden's death?

While the US anticipated some backlash from the Taliban, they did not expect the extent of the attacks that occurred following bin Laden's death. The US had increased security measures in place, but the Taliban was determined to retaliate.

4. How did the US respond to the Taliban attacks?

The US responded to the Taliban attacks with increased military operations in Afghanistan. They also worked with the Afghan government to strengthen security and combat terrorism in the region.

5. Did the death of Osama bin Laden lead to the end of the Taliban?

No, the death of Osama bin Laden did not lead to the end of the Taliban. While it was a significant blow to the organization, they continue to exist and pose a threat in Afghanistan and other parts of the world. The US and its allies continue to work towards peace and stability in the region.