Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

US running out of places to store money

1. Aug 10, 2010 #1

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 10, 2010 #2
    I have a 1300 sq ft basement that could be filled.

4. Aug 10, 2010 #3
    People don't like coins in general, that's why they'll pay to have their coins turned into bills, i.e. by pouring them into a Coinstar machine.

Also, it's bad enough when I lose quarters from sitting down and them sliding out of my pocket, but entire dollar coins sliding out of my pocket could add up to some big bucks.
    At least the old silver dollar coins were the size of a frisbee, so they weren't easy to lose. You had to carry them in a pizza box.

I also love the "law" that requires them to keep making coins. That's like me suddenly making up a rule that I have to constantly slap myself. I keep slapping myself because it's the rules, but I made up that rule and at any moment I could nullify that rule, nobody would protest and the madness would end.
    Just stop making the coins. How hard is that?

5. Aug 10, 2010 #4
    Hmph, I don't mind coin money.

6. Aug 10, 2010 #5
    They could use my coin jar as storage if they would like :P

7. Aug 10, 2010 #6
    Dollar coins? Pffft, this ain't Canada.

8. Aug 10, 2010 #7

DavidSnider

Gold Member

Bring on the digital cash already.

9. Aug 10, 2010 #8

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

10. Aug 14, 2010 #9
    I had crazy uncle once that used to insist upon getting paid in half-dollars. He didn't trust paper money. Imagine what a pain in the fanny he must have been to the tellers at the bank, whenever he cashed his check (he didn't like banks much either). Must have been pretty cartoon-ish, to see a grown man leaving the bank with a large sack of money over his shoulder.

That's having been said: I rather liked the Savajawea dollar and Susan B...http://www.factology.com/sacajawea.jpg

[PLAIN]http://www.usmint.gov/historianscorner/images/susanba_obv.jpg [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  11. Aug 14, 2010 #10

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

When the UK switched to pound coins there were the same objections - then somebody printed copies of all the complaints there had been 100years earlier when they switched from gold sovereigns to paper notes - then there were riots.

Canada had the good sense to decorate the coins with the noble loon - rather than the US plan to put presidents on them

12. Aug 14, 2010 #11
    I hate coins. All I use is a money clip, so coins rattling in my pocket is a major annoyance. If they really phase out paper, I will go completely electronic.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2010
  13. Aug 14, 2010 #12

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Me too. Although one nice thing about coins: since I always pay with paper, by the end of the day I often have a handful of coins. Every night I put them in a jar.

A few years ago I cashed in all my jars. Wow, ~10 years of coins was over $1,000 :surprised!

14. Aug 14, 2010 #13

turbo

Gold Member

Coins are really handy if you travel by car. Some highways have LOTS of toll-booths and if you don't want to stop and do a paper-money transaction with an attendant, you'd better have coins to throw in the basket. Hard to make something like that work with paper only, and your change would have to be returned in coinage, anyway.

15. Aug 14, 2010 #14

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Was that meant to be an ironic expression on her face?

Historically trusting the godly nature of these white immigrants wasn't a terribly successfully outcome for Savajawea and her child.

16. Aug 14, 2010 #15
    I've been saving my coins in this little cardboard box I have. After about 6 years of saving, I weighed it yesterday and it weighed 12.5 pounds. Not sure how much money that is, but that's pretty heavy.

How did you cash it in? Please don't say with Coinstar.

17. Aug 14, 2010 #16

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

OK I won't say it. But there was no way I was going to roll all those coins, which is required by my bank :mad:.

18. Aug 14, 2010 #17

turbo

Gold Member

Ooooh! Bad! My credit union has a coin-sorting machine that is free for members to use. Credit unions are owned by the members and tend to put services in place that will keep the members happy.

19. Aug 14, 2010 #18

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yes I know. I'm in a credit union, it's the lousiest service I've ever had from a financial institution. Low fees, though.

20. Aug 14, 2010 #19
    Last time I paid in coins it was $2.75 in quarters, hardly a burden to count, but the cashier paused and gave me an extended dirty look. I don't use coins anymore because I don't want to leave the store as angry as I did that day.

21. Aug 14, 2010 #20
    Living in Canada I receive payment in coins all the time lol. It's hardly difficult to count out... in fact we get paid with American money here too and I'm just saying it's alot faster to count how much money you get in Canadian vs. American... Maybe the Americans should invest in some colour coded bills prior to getting coins?

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook