US running out of places to store money

In summary, the speaker has no problem being paid in large quantities of coins, is not bothered about which president was on the coins, and thinks it would be a good idea to stop making the coins.
mgb_phys
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Physics news on Phys.org
I have a 1300 sq ft basement that could be filled.

People don't like coins in general, that's why they'll pay to have their coins turned into bills, i.e. by pouring them into a Coinstar machine.

Also, it's bad enough when I lose quarters from sitting down and them sliding out of my pocket, but entire dollar coins sliding out of my pocket could add up to some big bucks.
At least the old silver dollar coins were the size of a frisbee, so they weren't easy to lose. You had to carry them in a pizza box.

I also love the "law" that requires them to keep making coins. That's like me suddenly making up a rule that I have to constantly slap myself. I keep slapping myself because it's the rules, but I made up that rule and at any moment I could nullify that rule, nobody would protest and the madness would end.
Just stop making the coins. How hard is that?

Hmph, I don't mind coin money.

They could use my coin jar as storage if they would like :P

Dollar coins? Pffft, this ain't Canada.

Bring on the digital cash already.

I had crazy uncle once that used to insist upon getting paid in half-dollars. He didn't trust paper money. Imagine what a pain in the fanny he must have been to the tellers at the bank, whenever he cashed his check (he didn't like banks much either). Must have been pretty cartoon-ish, to see a grown man leaving the bank with a large sack of money over his shoulder.

That's having been said: I rather liked the Savajawea dollar and Susan B...http://www.factology.com/sacajawea.jpg

[PLAIN]http://www.usmint.gov/historianscorner/images/susanba_obv.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
FrancisZ said:
I had crazy uncle once that used to insist upon getting paid in half-dollars. He didn't trust paper money.
When the UK switched to pound coins there were the same objections - then somebody printed copies of all the complaints there had been 100years earlier when they switched from gold sovereigns to paper notes - then there were riots.

Canada had the good sense to decorate the coins with the noble loon - rather than the US plan to put presidents on them

I hate coins. All I use is a money clip, so coins rattling in my pocket is a major annoyance. If they really phase out paper, I will go completely electronic.

Last edited:
Greg Bernhardt said:
I hate coins. All I use is a money clip, so coins rattling in my pocket is a major annoyance. If they really phase out paper, I will go completely electronic.

Me too. Although one nice thing about coins: since I always pay with paper, by the end of the day I often have a handful of coins. Every night I put them in a jar.

A few years ago I cashed in all my jars. Wow, ~10 years of coins was over $1,000 !

Coins are really handy if you travel by car. Some highways have LOTS of toll-booths and if you don't want to stop and do a paper-money transaction with an attendant, you'd better have coins to throw in the basket. Hard to make something like that work with paper only, and your change would have to be returned in coinage, anyway.

FrancisZ said:
That's having been said: I rather liked the Savajawea dollar

Was that meant to be an ironic expression on her face?

Historically trusting the godly nature of these white immigrants wasn't a terribly successfully outcome for Savajawea and her child.

lisab said:
Me too. Although one nice thing about coins: since I always pay with paper, by the end of the day I often have a handful of coins. Every night I put them in a jar.

A few years ago I cashed in all my jars. Wow, ~10 years of coins was over $1,000 !

I've been saving my coins in this little cardboard box I have. After about 6 years of saving, I weighed it yesterday and it weighed 12.5 pounds. Not sure how much money that is, but that's pretty heavy.

How did you cash it in? Please don't say with Coinstar.

leroyjenkens said:
I've been saving my coins in this little cardboard box I have. After about 6 years of saving, I weighed it yesterday and it weighed 12.5 pounds. Not sure how much money that is, but that's pretty heavy.

How did you cash it in? Please don't say with Coinstar.

OK I won't say it. But there was no way I was going to roll all those coins, which is required by my bank :mad:.

Ooooh! Bad! My credit union has a coin-sorting machine that is free for members to use. Credit unions are owned by the members and tend to put services in place that will keep the members happy.

turbo-1 said:
Ooooh! Bad! My credit union has a coin-sorting machine that is free for members to use. Credit unions are owned by the members and tend to put services in place that will keep the members happy.

Yes I know. I'm in a credit union, it's the lousiest service I've ever had from a financial institution. Low fees, though.

Last time I paid in coins it was $2.75 in quarters, hardly a burden to count, but the cashier paused and gave me an extended dirty look. I don't use coins anymore because I don't want to leave the store as angry as I did that day.

BAnders1 said:
Last time I paid in coins it was $2.75 in quarters, hardly a burden to count, but the cashier paused and gave me an extended dirty look. I don't use coins anymore because I don't want to leave the store as angry as I did that day.

Living in Canada I receive payment in coins all the time lol. It's hardly difficult to count out... in fact we get paid with American money here too and I'm just saying it's a lot faster to count how much money you get in Canadian vs. American... Maybe the Americans should invest in some colour coded bills prior to getting coins?

My desk is flooded with loonies, toonies, nickels, dimes, and even pennies! Sometimes, I just put my little collection in front of the cashier and let her sort it out (for <3$). I just received one penny from the Tim's cashier because the bill was 1.84 and I gave her 1.85$.

rootX said:
My desk is flooded with loonies, toonies, nickels, dimes, and even pennies! Sometimes, I just put my little collection in front of the cashier and let her sort it out (for <3$). I just received one penny from the Tim's cashier because the bill was 1.84 and I gave her 1.85$.

What are loonies and toonies?

Math Is Hard said:

loonie%26toonie.jpg

ooh! Shiny!

FrancisZ said:
I had crazy uncle once that used to insist upon getting paid in half-dollars. He didn't trust paper money. Imagine what a pain in the fanny he must have been to the tellers at the bank, whenever he cashed his check (he didn't like banks much either). Must have been pretty cartoon-ish, to see a grown man leaving the bank with a large sack of money over his shoulder.

That's having been said: I rather liked the Savajawea dollar and Susan B...http://www.factology.com/sacajawea.jpg

[PLAIN]http://www.usmint.gov/historianscorner/images/susanba_obv.jpg[/QUOTE]

sacajawea i like. usually have one in my pocket.

but the susan b was a complete disaster. too much like a quarter. it was a complete flop and probably much of the reason dollar coins are hard to gain acceptance now.

but if you want to introduce the dollar coin, it is easy to do. stop printing paper dollars. stop minting pennies (retailers will need a new slot in their till for the dollars). give vending machine people a year to prepare. and for goodness sake, outlaw/recall that abominable susan b.

Last edited by a moderator:
Proton Soup said:
stop minting pennies (retailers will need a new slot in their till for the dollars). give vending machine people a year to prepare. and for goodness sake, outlaw/recall that abominable susan b.
You can't stop using pennies because it makes you look like a 3rd world country where it takes a zillion zlotis to buy a coffee.

The vending machine makers are already prepared, they love the idea of coins.

One problem is that the late senator kennedy's seat included the company that makes all the paper for US bills.

mgb_phys said:
One problem is that the late senator kennedy's seat included the company that makes all the paper for US bills.

Ah, unbridled corruption.

CRGreathouse said:
Ah, unbridled corruption.

I assumed a pure coincidence

Of course if you got rid of notes and only had coins corruption would be a lot harder - it's hard to pay off a politician with a sack full of Susan B. Anthonys

Math Is Hard said:

rootX said:
loonie%26toonie.jpg

When I visited Canada several years ago, I had to restrain myself from giggling, the first time I saw a discount store that called itself a "loonie store." :smile:

jtbell said:
I saw a discount store that called itself a "loonie store." :smile:
They are called loonies because the bird on them is a loon.
Not sure what Americans would call $ coins with Nixon or George W (or Carter or Clinton) on them

ps. Canada is getting plastic money soon, this is of course part of a plot to confuse y'all.

lisab said:
OK I won't say it. But there was no way I was going to roll all those coins, which is required by my bank :mad:.
How much do they charge? It's a percentage, right? How much did they get out of you?

Instead of turning my coins into cash, I'm going to end up taking that box to a store and buy a flatscreen or something with it.

jtbell said:
When I visited Canada several years ago, I had to restrain myself from giggling, the first time I saw a discount store that called itself a "loonie store." :smile:

I don't think I ever saw a loonie store, it's always "dollar store".

leroyjenkens said:
How much do they charge? It's a percentage, right? How much did they get out of you?

Instead of turning my coins into cash, I'm going to end up taking that box to a store and buy a flatscreen or something with it.

I don't remember, it was several years ago. Also I'm not really sure it was a Coinstar...seems it was something similar though.

lisab said:
I don't remember, it was several years ago. Also I'm not really sure it was a Coinstar...seems it was something similar though.

I looked up the fees on Coinstar's website and it's 9.8 cents per dollar. If you did use Coinstar, you paid them 98 dollars.
I've already expressed how much I dislike coins in my first post, but I would carry my coins in my mouth before I dumped them in that machine. It boggles my mind that people will throw their money away like that. I'm not a cheapskate or anything, it's just the principle of it. Paying 2 dollars to have 20 dollars turned into 20 dollars is insane. That's like people paying a dollar every day to buy a cold bottle of water out of a vending machine when they could just get a filter at their house and fill their own bottle every day. People are sick.

leroyjenkens said:
I looked up the fees on Coinstar's website and it's 9.8 cents per dollar. If you did use Coinstar, you paid them 98 dollars.
I've already expressed how much I dislike coins in my first post, but I would carry my coins in my mouth before I dumped them in that machine. It boggles my mind that people will throw their money away like that. I'm not a cheapskate or anything, it's just the principle of it. Paying 2 dollars to have 20 dollars turned into 20 dollars is insane. That's like people paying a dollar every day to buy a cold bottle of water out of a vending machine when they could just get a filter at their house and fill their own bottle every day. People are sick.

You would rather the 20 dollars sit at home and not be spent because people don't want to deal with sorting through 20 dollars of nickels and pennies?