Usa Und grad admissn without sat?

• Testing
  • Thread starter SuperStringboy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Grad Sat Usa
In summary, it is possible to get undergraduate admission in the USA without taking the SAT, but this varies among different schools. Most schools require the SAT for both domestic and international students, and there are only a few exceptions for top-performing students. Additionally, even if a school waives the TOEFL requirement, international students will still need to take the SAT for comparison. However, some schools may waive the TOEFL requirement for those who have already attended high school in the US or have a high score on the verbal section of the SAT. Overall, the SAT is considered a more challenging test than the TOEFL and is still required by most schools for admission.
SuperStringboy
Is it possible to get undergraduate admission in usa without sat? Mejor Physics. I can try to get good TOFEL score that's not the problem.But SAT?

Physics news on Phys.org
SuperStringboy said:
Is it possible to get undergraduate admission in usa without sat?

At some schools, this might be possible. But each school decides its own policy about admitting students in general, including international students, so you have to check their Web sites or ask their admissions office. I think it is likely that if a school requires the SAT or ACT for students from the USA, they will also require it for international students. The school where I teach does require either the SAT or ACT, for everybody.

I've only heard of one school in the US that doesn't require either an SAT or ACT, and they only waive the requirement for a very limited group of applicants with top-notch high school scores that they think is a better indicator than an SAT of their potential. I don't think any school would waive the requirement for a foreign applicant, simply because there is no other way to determine if your educational background will be comparable to that of students applying from within the US without a standardized test for comparison. So, you will need both an SAT (or ACT) and TOEFL for admission.

Some schools waive the TOEFL requirement, if you get a good score on verbal section of SAT, or you have attended to high school in US. I got my TOEFL waivered since I went to high school here. In my opinion, TOEFL is pointless if you have to take the SAT - everybody knows that the verbal section of SAT is 2948129489182491894 times harder than TOEFL.

1. What are the requirements for admission to a USA graduate program without SAT scores?

Admission requirements may vary between universities, but typically, a strong undergraduate GPA, letters of recommendation, a statement of purpose, and relevant work or research experience are considered in lieu of SAT scores.

2. Can international students apply to USA graduate programs without SAT scores?

Yes, international students may apply to graduate programs in the USA without SAT scores. They will still need to meet the other admission requirements, such as a strong academic record and English language proficiency.

3. Are there any disadvantages to applying without SAT scores?

There may be some disadvantages, as SAT scores can provide a standardized measure of academic ability. However, many universities have shifted away from requiring SAT scores and instead focus on other aspects of a student's application.

4. Can I still receive financial aid without submitting SAT scores?

Yes, financial aid may still be available to students who do not submit SAT scores. However, it is important to check with the specific university and program to determine their policies on this matter.

5. Are there any alternative entrance exams that can be submitted in place of SAT scores?

Some universities may accept alternative exams, such as the GRE or GMAT, in place of SAT scores. It is important to check with the university to see if they have any specific requirements for alternative exams.