Use definition as a derivative (as a limit) problem

In summary, the derivative of a function is the instantaneous rate of change of the function at a specific point. It is defined as the limit of the slope of a secant line as the two points on the line approach each other. This concept is crucial in calculus as it allows us to solve real-world problems involving motion, optimization, and more. The difference between average and instantaneous rate of change lies in their measurement intervals, with the latter providing a more precise measurement at a specific point. To find the derivative of a function using the definition, one must take the limit of the slope of a secant line as the distance between two points approaches zero.
CrossFit415
Limit → pi/3 [itex]\frac{2cosθ-1}{3θ-pi}[/itex]

I plugged in pi/3 and I got 0/0. I'm not sure that's right way.

Would I need to change the derivative of cosθ to -sinθ? Or just plug pi/3 ?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Could you state the problem exactly as it's given? I'm not seeing how this is related to the definition of the derivative.

What is the definition of a derivative?

The derivative of a function is the instantaneous rate of change of the function at a specific point. It represents the slope of the tangent line to the function at that point.

How is the derivative related to the limit?

The derivative is defined as a limit. Specifically, it is the limit of the slope of a secant line as the two points on the line approach each other. This limit is taken as the distance between the two points approaches zero, resulting in the instantaneous rate of change or the derivative.

Why is the derivative important in calculus?

The derivative is an essential concept in calculus because it allows us to find the rate of change of a function at any point. This enables us to solve problems involving motion, optimization, and many other real-world applications.

What is the difference between average rate of change and instantaneous rate of change?

The average rate of change is the average slope of a function over an interval, while the instantaneous rate of change is the slope of the tangent line to the function at a specific point. The average rate of change gives an overall picture of the function's behavior, while the instantaneous rate of change gives a more precise measurement at a specific point.

How do you find the derivative of a function using the definition?

To find the derivative of a function using the definition, you need to take the limit of the slope of a secant line as the distance between two points on the line approaches zero. This limit will result in the instantaneous rate of change, which is the derivative of the function at that specific point.