Use fundamental theorem of calculus to compute definite integral

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
7 replies · 2K views
s3a
Messages
828
Reaction score
8

Homework Statement


The problem and my (incorrect) work are typed and attached as TheProblemAndMyWorkTypedUp.jpg.

Homework Equations


Integral from a to b of f(t) = F(b) – F(a)

The Attempt at a Solution


As mentioned above, my work is attached as TheProblemAndMyWorkTypedUp.jpg. (The (2 – 1)^12 part “dissappeared” because d/dx (constant) = 0.)

Could someone please help me figure out why what I did is wrong?
 
Attachments
  • TheProblemAndMyWorkTypedUp.jpg
    TheProblemAndMyWorkTypedUp.jpg
    10.7 KB · Views: 547
Physics news on Phys.org
I think you need to change t so that your upper limit is x. Then I think your argument will go through.
 
Oh, yes, I jumped the gun with assuming it was just x on the upper limit of the integral!

So, this (=the attachment of this reply) is how I do it, right?
 
Attachments
  • TheProblemAndMyWorkTypedUp.jpg
    TheProblemAndMyWorkTypedUp.jpg
    12.4 KB · Views: 539
s3a said:
Oh, yes, I jumped the gun with assuming it was just x on the upper limit of the integral!

So, this (=the attachment of this reply) is how I do it, right?

Since the upper limit is a function of x, you have to apply chain rule. Straightforward application of FTOC can only be applied when the upper limit is just x and the lower limit a constant.
 
So, is this (=the attachment of this reply) how it's done?
 
Attachments
  • TheProblemAndMyWorkTypedUp.jpg
    TheProblemAndMyWorkTypedUp.jpg
    11.4 KB · Views: 511
s3a said:
So, is this (=the attachment of this reply) how it's done?
Correct :smile: