Use of guassian elimination to find the determinate of a matrix

In summary, the conversation is about finding the characteristic polynomial for a 3x3 matrix A by finding the determinant of A - I*lambda using Gaussian elimination. The individual is having trouble understanding how to zero out certain values in the matrix and is considering using the Rule of Sarrus algorithm. They are also discussing the significance of the values next to 'a' in the matrix.
question dude

Homework Statement

I have to find that the characteristic polynomial for a 3x3 matrix A, which is effectively the same as finding the det(A - I*lamda)

matrix A is:
attachment.php?attachmentid=254147&d=1385085115.jpg

the problem is that when I've written out 'A - I*lamda' in matrix form, the three values at the bottom left of the matrix (where I've circled in blue in the pic above)

I know that guassian elimination involves subtracting one row (or a multiple of a row) from another, so that I end up changing those three values to zero. But I don't get how this method would work when for one of the rows, there's more than one value which I need to change to zero.

Physics news on Phys.org
question dude said:

Homework Statement

I have to find that the characteristic polynomial for a 3x3 matrix A, which is effectively the same as finding the det(A - I*lamda)

matrix A is:

the problem is that when I've written out 'A - I*lamda' in matrix form, the three values at the bottom left of the matrix (where I've circled in blue in the pic above)

The three values what? You didn't finish the sentence.

I know that guassian elimination involves subtracting one row (or a multiple of a row) from another, so that I end up changing those three values to zero. But I don't get how this method would work when for one of the rows, there's more than one value which I need to change to zero.

Why don't you just write down ##A -\lambda I## for your original matrix and calculate its determinant?

question dude said:

Homework Statement

matrix A is:

If you have two things to 'zero out' in column 1, you need to do two row-subtractions---one for row 2 and another for row 3. I am very, very surprised that you have not seen this before!

However, I would urge you to NOT start in row 1, because you will obtain rational (not polynomial) values in columns 2 and 3. (Can you see why?) Better: interchange rows 1 and 2 (say), then start with the new row 1---that is, you will be adding or subtracting multiples of 3 to make zeros.

The usual method to find the characteristic polynomial of a matrix is to first form the matrix (A - Iλ)

Because of the variable λ in this matrix, Gaussian elimination (a numerical technique) is of limited value in calculating this determinant. However, since you are dealing with a 3x3 matrix, there is an algorithm (the Rule of Sarrus) which allows one to calculate the determinant with a fair amount of algebra involved.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rule_of_Sarrus

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Characteristic_polynomial

LCKurtz said:
The three values what? You didn't finish the sentence.

Why don't you just write down ##A -\lambda I## for your original matrix and calculate its determinant?

The three values I was referring to, are the ones in the matrix: A - I*lamda

they're located in the same positions are the three values I've circled for matrix: A

I know I have to get them to zero, right?

Ray Vickson said:
If you have two things to 'zero out' in column 1, you need to do two row-subtractions---one for row 2 and another for row 3. I am very, very surprised that you have not seen this before!

but there's two values in row 3 that I need to get to zero

I can't make a subtraction that would get them both to zero, because they're not the same values

However, I would urge you to NOT start in row 1, because you will obtain rational (not polynomial) values in columns 2 and 3. (Can you see why?) Better: interchange rows 1 and 2 (say), then start with the new row 1---that is, you will be adding or subtracting multiples of 3 to make zeros.

sorry I can't see why

question dude said:
The three values I was referring to, are the ones in the matrix: A - I*lamda

they're located in the same positions are the three values I've circled for matrix: A

I know I have to get them to zero, right?

Like I asked before, why don't you just write down ##A-\lambda I## and take its determinant?

Also, I don't see any ##\lambda##'s in your matrix, so it isn't ##A-\lambda I## in the first place.

SteamKing said:
The usual method to find the characteristic polynomial of a matrix is to first form the matrix (A - Iλ)

Because of the variable λ in this matrix, Gaussian elimination (a numerical technique) is of limited value in calculating this determinant. However, since you are dealing with a 3x3 matrix, there is an algorithm (the Rule of Sarrus) which allows one to calculate the determinant with a fair amount of algebra involved.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rule_of_Sarrus

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Characteristic_polynomial

seems like a decent method, never come across it before though

is there any significance to the values next to each of 'a' in the matrix shown in your first link?

LCKurtz said:
Like I asked before, why don't you just write down ##A-\lambda I## and take its determinant?

Also, I don't see any ##\lambda##'s in your matrix, so it isn't ##A-\lambda I## in the first place.

the matrix I posted in the pic inb my 1st post was for matrix A, not (A - I*lamda)

I've done what you've suggested, by writing down A - I*lamda, its basically the same as matrix A, except for the three values in the central diagonal, they each have '- lamda'

I'm trying to calculate the determinate of A - I*lamda by using guassian elimination

question dude said:
the matrix I posted in the pic inb my 1st post was for matrix A, not (A - I*lamda)

I've done what you've suggested, by writing down A - I*lamda, its basically the same as matrix A, except for the three values in the central diagonal, they each have '- lamda'

I'm trying to calculate the determinate of A - I*lamda by using guassian elimination

OK then. I thought from your OP you were asking about reducing ##A##, which seemed irrelevant. Both methods should work on ##A-\lambda I## if your arithmetic skills are good.

question dude said:
seems like a decent method, never come across it before though

is there any significance to the values next to each of 'a' in the matrix shown in your first link?

The values next to the 'a' entries represent the row and column indices of that matrix element.
For instance, a21 tells you this represents the element at row 2, column 1 of the matrix.

This is basic stuff. How much do you know about matrix algebra?

What is the purpose of using Gaussian elimination to find the determinate of a matrix?

The purpose of using Gaussian elimination to find the determinate of a matrix is to simplify a system of linear equations and determine the unique solution or whether the system has no solution or infinite solutions.

What is the process of using Gaussian elimination to find the determinate of a matrix?

The process of using Gaussian elimination to find the determinate of a matrix involves transforming the matrix into its row echelon form by using elementary row operations, such as multiplying a row by a constant and adding or subtracting rows from one another. Once the matrix is in row echelon form, the determinate can be calculated by multiplying the diagonal elements.

What are the advantages of using Gaussian elimination to find the determinate of a matrix?

Some advantages of using Gaussian elimination to find the determinate of a matrix include its efficiency and accuracy in solving systems of linear equations. It also allows for easy manipulation of the matrix to find the determinate, even for large matrices.

What are some common applications of Gaussian elimination in real-world problems?

Gaussian elimination has many applications in various fields such as engineering, economics, and physics. It can be used to solve systems of linear equations in structural analysis, to find optimal solutions in linear programming problems, and to calculate electric currents in circuits, among others.

What are some limitations of using Gaussian elimination to find the determinate of a matrix?

One limitation of using Gaussian elimination is that it can be computationally expensive for large matrices. It also requires a significant amount of memory to store the intermediate results. Additionally, it may not work for matrices with a determinate of zero, indicating no unique solution.