Is It Risky to Use Mobile Phones in Lightning?

• Thread starter Manula
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mobile
In summary, there is a general belief that you should not use mobile phones while it is lighting outside. There is some logic behind the belief, but it is not entirely clear to me. There is a perceived risk that the lightning somehow is transmitted via the mobile signal and, what, fry the device? The risk only applies to the old corded phones, the ones you actually plug into the phone jack and electrical outlet. Holding onto a mobile phone during a storm either inside or outside is not going to increase the risk of you being struck by lightning. There is more metal in that bunch of car, house, work keys you have in your pocket than there is metal in a modern cellphone.
Manula
Is it risky to use the mobile phones while lighting occurs outside?

There's a general belief that you should not use mobile phones while it is lighting outside. Is it true?? Is there any logic behind it?

Physics news on Phys.org
Manula said:
Is it risky to use the mobile phones while lighting occurs outside?

There's a general belief that you should not use mobile phones while it is lighting outside. Is it true?? Is there any logic behind it?

I don't understand. What exactly is the perceived risk here? That the lightning somehow is transmitted via the mobile signal and, what, fry the device?

Zz.

I think that risk only applies to the old corded phones, the ones you actually plug into the phone jack and electrical outlet.

Are you outside using the phone when it is lightning?

SteamKing said:
Are you outside using the phone when it is lightning?

Yes. I was relating to such a situation. But not in an open area like some paddy field.

Can lighting affect the mobile signals?

Manula said:

If you are close enough to the strike then I believe it can.

Manula said:

Drakkith said:
If you are close enough to the strike then I believe it can.
you may hear a crackle of the audio signal, but because of the style of transmission mode ... being a digital signal its less likely to occur because of data error correction routines within the digital system.

This is unlike , say you AM radio receiver that you can hear the crackle of lightning strikes from many kilometres away

OHHH BTW holding onto /using a mobile phone during a storm either inside or outside is not going to increase the risk of you being struck by lightning.
the strike is going to happen where the ground and cloud potentials have built up enough for the discharge to occur and if you are unlucky enough to be in that same spot you may well become part of the strike conduction path... having a tiny piece of plastic and metal of a phone in your hand isn't going to make much difference considering the strike may have already traveled several kilometres through the air before striking the ground or you.

there's probably more metal in that bunch of car, house, work keys you have in your pocket than there is metal in a modern cellphone

cheers
Dave

Drakkith said:
I think that risk only applies to the old corded phones, the ones you actually plug into the phone jack and electrical outlet.

Yea, I would bet this is where the idea came from. Any corded and plugged in appliance or device would be extra dangerous during a lightning storm, if only slightly.

http://www.srh.noaa.gov/jetstream/lightning/lightning_faq.htm#10

The only risk I see with using a mobile phone in a storm might go like this...

Bad signal indoors for some reason so you head outside.
Best signal is clear of buildings so you head for the park.
You are now the tallest thing around... zap.

Thanks Everyone!

1. Is it true that using a mobile phone in lightning can increase the risk of being struck?

Yes, it is possible for mobile phone usage to increase the risk of being struck by lightning. When a person is using a mobile phone outdoors during a lightning storm, the metal components of the phone can attract lightning and increase the likelihood of a strike.

2. Can a mobile phone act as a conductor for lightning?

Yes, a mobile phone can act as a conductor for lightning due to the metal components and the electrical signals being transmitted through the phone. This can increase the risk of being struck by lightning if the phone is used outdoors during a storm.

3. Is it safe to use a mobile phone indoors during a lightning storm?

Using a mobile phone indoors during a lightning storm is generally considered safe as long as the phone is not connected to a charger. However, it is still recommended to avoid using electronic devices during a storm as a precaution.

4. What precautions should be taken when using a mobile phone during a lightning storm?

To minimize the risk of being struck by lightning while using a mobile phone, it is recommended to avoid using it outdoors during a storm. If you must use your phone, try to find shelter and stay away from tall objects and bodies of water. It is also important to avoid using a phone that is connected to a charger during a storm.

5. Can a mobile phone be a direct target for lightning?

While it is possible for a mobile phone to be a direct target for lightning, it is unlikely. Lightning tends to strike taller objects such as trees and buildings rather than small electronic devices. However, using a mobile phone outdoors during a storm can increase the risk of being struck indirectly if lightning strikes nearby.