1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Use of Mobile phones

1. Sep 4, 2013 #1
    Is it risky to use the mobile phones while lighting occurs outside?

There's a general belief that you should not use mobile phones while it is lighting outside. Is it true?? Is there any logic behind it?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 4, 2013 #2

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

I don't understand. What exactly is the perceived risk here? That the lightning somehow is transmitted via the mobile signal and, what, fry the device?

Zz.

4. Sep 4, 2013 #3

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

I think that risk only applies to the old corded phones, the ones you actually plug into the phone jack and electrical outlet.

5. Sep 4, 2013 #4

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Are you outside using the phone when it is lightning?

6. Sep 4, 2013 #5
    Yes. I was relating to such a situation. But not in an open area like some paddy field.

7. Sep 4, 2013 #6
    Can lighting affect the mobile signals???

8. Sep 4, 2013 #7

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

If you are close enough to the strike then I believe it can.

9. Sep 5, 2013 #8

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

you may hear a crackle of the audio signal, but because of the style of transmission mode ... being a digital signal its less likely to occur because of data error correction routines within the digital system.

This is unlike , say you AM radio receiver that you can hear the crackle of lightning strikes from many kilometres away

OHHH BTW holding onto /using a mobile phone during a storm either inside or outside is not going to increase the risk of you being struck by lightning.
    the strike is going to happen where the ground and cloud potentials have built up enough for the discharge to occur and if you are unlucky enough to be in that same spot you may well become part of the strike conduction path.... having a tiny piece of plastic and metal of a phone in your hand isn't going to make much difference considering the strike may have already travelled several kilometres through the air before striking the ground or you.

there's probably more metal in that bunch of car, house, work keys you have in your pocket than there is metal in a modern cellphone

cheers
    Dave

10. Sep 5, 2013 #9
    Yea, I would bet this is where the idea came from. Any corded and plugged in appliance or device would be extra dangerous during a lightning storm, if only slightly.

http://www.srh.noaa.gov/jetstream/lightning/lightning_faq.htm#10

11. Sep 5, 2013 #10

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The only risk I see with using a mobile phone in a storm might go like this...

Bad signal indoors for some reason so you head outside.
    Best signal is clear of buildings so you head for the park.
    You are now the tallest thing around.... zap.

12. Sep 5, 2013 #11
    Thanks Everyone!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook