Use of prisms vs use of mirrors in periscope

• Thread starter wlng81
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mirrors
In summary, the conversation discusses the difference between using prisms and mirrors for reflecting light, with prisms allowing for total internal reflection and maintaining 100% light intensity. It is suggested that prisms are better than mirrors as the latter's reflective surfaces may degrade over time. The question of image quality, specifically sharpness, brightness, and color accuracy, is brought up and a resource is provided for further reading. The use of fiber optics in modern periscopes is also mentioned.
wlng81
Hi experts,

I am aware using prisms enable total internal reflection while using mirrors there is only reflection of light. The difference is that in the former there is 100% light intensity after reflection while the latter does not.
I have also read that using prisms is better than using mirrors as the reflective surfaces of the mirrors may degrade with time.
My question is: What about the image quality (e.g. sharpness, brightness, colour accuracy)?

Thank you in advance.

Science news on Phys.org
wlng81 said:
Hi experts,

I am aware using prisms enable total internal reflection while using mirrors there is only reflection of light. The difference is that in the former there is 100% light intensity after reflection while the latter does not.
I have also read that using prisms is better than using mirrors as the reflective surfaces of the mirrors may degrade with time.
My question is: What about the image quality (e.g. sharpness, brightness, colour accuracy)?.

A good primer:
http://www.edmundoptics.com/globala...es/beam-manipulation-prisms-vs-mirrors-en.pdf

Modern periscopes use fiber optics...

Any reason why

1. What is the difference between using prisms and using mirrors in a periscope?

The main difference between using prisms and using mirrors in a periscope is the way they reflect and redirect light. Mirrors work by reflecting light at an angle, while prisms refract light at an angle. This means that prisms can produce a more precise and accurate image compared to mirrors, as they do not suffer from the same issues with distortion and light loss.

2. Which is more commonly used in periscopes, prisms or mirrors?

Prisms are more commonly used in periscopes due to their ability to produce a clearer and more accurate image. However, mirrors are still used in some periscopes, particularly those that require a more compact design.

3. What are the advantages of using prisms in a periscope?

The main advantages of using prisms in a periscope are their ability to produce a clearer and more accurate image, as well as their compact size and lightweight nature. Prisms also have a longer lifespan compared to mirrors, as they are less prone to scratches and degradation over time.

4. Are there any situations where using mirrors in a periscope would be more beneficial?

In some cases, using mirrors in a periscope may be more beneficial, such as when a more compact design is needed or when cost is a factor. Mirrors are also more versatile in terms of the angles at which they can reflect light, making them useful in certain periscope designs.

5. How do prisms and mirrors affect the field of view in a periscope?

Prisms typically offer a wider field of view compared to mirrors in a periscope. This is because prisms can redirect light at larger angles, allowing for a greater range of vision. Mirrors, on the other hand, may have a narrower field of view due to the angle at which they reflect light.