Use that relationship to answer the question.

• Thread starter stonecoldgen
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Statistics
In summary, the flight time of an airline follows a Normal distribution with unknown mean and standard deviation. On 15% of days, the flight takes more than an hour, and on 3% of days, the flight lasts 75 minutes or more. To determine the mean and standard deviation, you can use the normalcdf, normalpdf, and invNorm functions on a TI calculator. However, it is recommended to first use a pencil and paper, along with a table of values of the standard normal distribution, to find the relationship between the probabilities and the standard normal random variable.
stonecoldgen

Homework Statement

An airline flies the same route at the same time each day. The flight time varies according to a Normal distribution with unknown mean and standard deviation. On 15% of days, the flight takes more than an hour. On 3% of days, the flight lasts 75 minutes or more. Use this information to determine the mean and standard deviation of the flight time distribution.

Homework Equations

well, i can use the normalcdf, normalpdf and invNorm on the TI, but I'm not sure how, since to use them, i need the standard deviation and the mean

The Attempt at a Solution

what i have attempted is using those tools on the calculator, but it doesn't really get you to anything

Physics news on Phys.org
stonecoldgen said:

Homework Statement

An airline flies the same route at the same time each day. The flight time varies according to a Normal distribution with unknown mean and standard deviation. On 15% of days, the flight takes more than an hour. On 3% of days, the flight lasts 75 minutes or more. Use this information to determine the mean and standard deviation of the flight time distribution.

Homework Equations

well, i can use the normalcdf, normalpdf and invNorm on the TI, but I'm not sure how, since to use them, i need the standard deviation and the mean

The Attempt at a Solution

what i have attempted is using those tools on the calculator, but it doesn't really get you to anything
Some tools you should be using before you start in with the calculator are a pencil and some paper, and a table of values of the standard normal distribution.

You are given that the flight times are normally distributed, with mean [itex]\mu[/itex] and standard deviation [itex]\sigma[/itex], both unknown.

Let X be the normally distributed random variable that represents flight times.

You are given that Pr(X > 60) = .15 and Pr(X > 75) = .03

How can you write these probabilities so that they involve Z, the standard normal random variable? What's the relationship between Z and X?

Related to Use that relationship to answer the question.

1. What is statistics?

Statistics is the study of collecting, organizing, analyzing, and interpreting data. It involves using mathematical and computational tools to make sense of large amounts of data and draw conclusions from them.

2. Why is statistics important?

Statistics is important because it helps us make sense of the world around us. It allows us to understand trends and patterns, make predictions, and make informed decisions based on data. It is used in a wide range of fields, including science, economics, psychology, and public policy.

3. What is the difference between descriptive and inferential statistics?

Descriptive statistics involves summarizing and describing the characteristics of a data set, such as measures of central tendency (mean, median, mode) and variability (standard deviation, range). Inferential statistics, on the other hand, involves using sample data to make generalizations or predictions about a larger population.

4. What is a hypothesis in statistics?

A hypothesis in statistics is a tentative explanation for a phenomenon or relationship between variables. It is typically formulated as a statement that can be tested using data. In statistical hypothesis testing, the null hypothesis is the default assumption that there is no significant difference or relationship between variables, and the alternative hypothesis is what the researcher is trying to prove.

5. What is the difference between correlation and causation?

Correlation is a statistical measure that indicates the strength and direction of a relationship between two variables. It does not imply causation, which is the relationship between cause and effect. In other words, just because two variables are correlated does not mean that one causes the other. Other factors and variables could be influencing the relationship.