Use the Virial theorem to show the following...

In summary, the expression ##\langle \cal H \rangle_k## is the expected value of the canonical ensemble and can be found using the total derivative of the Hamiltonian equation. This can be used to find the expression ##\Bigl\langle x_k\frac{\partial H }{\partial x_k} \Bigr\rangle##, which is equivalent to ##k_bT## according to the virial theorem.
GravityX
Homework Statement
I have to show the following with the virial theorem ##E=\langle \cal H \rangle_k## ##=k_bT \sum\limits_{i=1}^{N}a_i##
Relevant Equations
none
The expression ##\langle \cal H \rangle_k## is the expected value of the canonical ensemble.

The Hamiltonian is defined as follows, with the scaling ##\lambda##

##\lambda \cal H ## : ##\lambda H(x_1, ...,x_N)=H(\lambda^{a_1}x_1,....,\lambda^{a_N}x_N)##

As a hint, I should differentiate the Hamiltonian with respect to ##\lambda##

Unfortunately, I don't know how exactly I should do this, i.e. form the derivative, I have now proceeded in such a way that I have formed the differential

$$H(\lambda^{a_1}x_1,...\lambda^{a_N}x_N)=\lambda^{a_1}x_1\frac{\partial H}{\partial x_1}+...\lambda^{a_N}x_N\frac{\partial H}{\partial x_N}$$

Then the derivative should look like this,

$$\frac{\partial}{\partial \lambda}H(\lambda^{a_1}x_1,...\lambda^{a_N}x_N)=a_1\lambda^{a_1-1}x_1\frac{\partial H}{\partial x_1}+...a_N\lambda^{a_N-1}x_N\frac{\partial H}{\partial x_N}$$

Is this correct

Physics news on Phys.org
Not entirely. Just take the total derivative of the equation
$$\lambda H(x_1,\ldots,x_N)=H(\lambda^{a_1} x_1,\ldots,\lambda^{a_N} x_N).$$
Your last equation is correct.

Next you have to think about, what
$$\left \langle x_k \frac{\partial H}{\partial x_k} \right \rangle$$
might be. For that start with the definition of how to take expectation values in the canonical ensemble. It's not too easy, and maybe you are allowed to use the result, which is the "virial theorem".

Likes GravityX
Thank you vanhees71 for your help and sorry I'm only getting back to you now, I had two weeks Christmas break 🎅

I was able to solve the problem now, the expression ##\Bigl\langle x_k\frac{\partial H }{\partial x_k} \Bigr\rangle## we had stated in the lecture as ##k_bT##.

Likes vanhees71

1. What is the Virial theorem?

The Virial theorem is a fundamental principle in physics that relates the kinetic and potential energies of a system in equilibrium. It states that the average kinetic energy of a system is equal to the average potential energy, and can be used to study the dynamics and stability of a system.

2. How is the Virial theorem used?

The Virial theorem is used to analyze the behavior of a system by examining the relationship between its kinetic and potential energies. It can be applied to a wide range of systems, including gases, stars, and galaxies, to understand their properties and evolution.

3. What does the Virial theorem show?

The Virial theorem shows that in a system in equilibrium, the average kinetic energy is directly related to the average potential energy. This relationship can be used to derive important properties of the system, such as its total energy and stability.

4. How is the Virial theorem derived?

The Virial theorem is derived using mathematical techniques from classical mechanics and thermodynamics. It involves calculating the average kinetic and potential energies of a system and equating them to each other, resulting in the Virial theorem equation.

5. What are some applications of the Virial theorem?

The Virial theorem has many applications in physics and astronomy. It is used to study the dynamics of gases, the structure of stars and galaxies, and the behavior of clusters of galaxies. It is also used in statistical mechanics to understand the properties of macroscopic systems.