Use trig identities to simplify an expression (has sins and cosines)

In summary, to simplify the given expression, we can use the fundamental identity (sinx)^2 + (cosx)^2 = 1 and factor the numerator as a difference of squares. Alternatively, we can also multiply both the numerator and denominator by 1/sin2x.
Nishiura_high

Homework Statement

Use fundamental identities to simplify the expression:

(sinx)^2 - (cosx)^2

*note: The answer in the back of the book is "1 + cotx" but I would like to know how it got there.

Homework Equations

(sinx)^2 + (cosx)^2 = 1

other trig identities

The Attempt at a Solution

(sinx)^2 - (cosx)^2

I factored out sinx out of the bottom, but I don't really see any identies that would simplify sinx-cosx. (I have a chart of identities.) I tried to simplify the top using the relevant identity I already listed.

Thanks for any help!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Nishiura_high said:

Homework Statement

Use fundamental identities to simplify the expression:

(sinx)^2 - (cosx)^2

*note: it's a numerator and denominator. The underscore line is the fraction line.

*note: The answer in the back of the book is "1 + cotx" but I would like to know how it got there.

Homework Equations

(sinx)^2 + (cosx)^2 = 1

other trig identities

The Attempt at a Solution

(sinx)^2 - (cosx)^2

I factored out sinx out of the bottom, but I don't really see any identies that would simplify sinx-cosx. (I have a chart of identities.) I tried to simplify the top using the relevant identity I already listed.

Thanks for any help!
Factor the numerator as a difference of squares.

or ...

Starting with the original expression, multiply the numerator and denominator by 1/sin2(x)

Thanks. I got it now. :)

Related to Use trig identities to simplify an expression (has sins and cosines)

1. How do I know which trig identities to use to simplify an expression?

The key to simplifying an expression using trig identities is to identify patterns and relationships among the different terms. Start by looking for common factors or terms that can be combined. Then, use identities such as the Pythagorean identities, double angle identities, or sum and difference identities to further simplify the expression.

2. Can I use any trig identity to simplify an expression?

Yes, as long as the identity is valid and can be applied to the given expression. It is important to carefully check the validity of the identity and ensure that all steps are mathematically sound when simplifying an expression.

3. How do I know when an expression has been fully simplified?

An expression is considered fully simplified when there are no more common factors or terms that can be combined and all trigonometric functions have been simplified to their simplest form, often involving only sines and cosines. In some cases, the expression may also be simplified using inverse trigonometric functions.

4. Can I use trig identities to solve equations?

Yes, trig identities can be used to solve equations involving trigonometric functions. When solving an equation, you can use identities to transform the equation into a simpler form that is easier to solve, or to eliminate certain terms or factors. Just like when simplifying an expression, it is important to carefully check the validity of the identity and ensure that all steps are mathematically sound.

5. Are there any tips for simplifying expressions with trig identities?

Yes, one helpful tip is to write out all identities that you know and refer to them as you work through the expression. This can help you find the most appropriate identity to use and also serve as a reminder of the different identities available. Additionally, practice and familiarity with trig identities will make the simplification process easier and more efficient.