Use u = y' substitution to solve (y + 1) y'' = (y')^2

In summary, the student is struggling with understanding the substitution u = y' and how to apply the chain rule to solve the differential equation. They are confident in their ability to solve the rest of the problem.
s3a

Homework Statement

Solve the following differential equation, by using the substitution u = y'.:
(y + 1) y'' = (y')^2

Homework Equations

I'm assuming: Chain Rule

The Attempt at a Solution

My problem is, simply, that I don't get how to go from u = y' to y'' = u du/dy, and I would appreciate it if someone could show me how!

Other than that, I should be fine.

Physics news on Phys.org
Re-write:

(y+1) u' = u²

then rearrange to get u's on the left and y's on the right and integrate.
(this is a classical manipulation in classical mechanics)

s3a said:

Homework Statement

Solve the following differential equation, by using the substitution u = y'.:
(y + 1) y'' = (y')^2

Homework Equations

I'm assuming: Chain Rule

The Attempt at a Solution

My problem is, simply, that I don't get how to go from u = y' to y'' = u du/dy, and I would appreciate it if someone could show me how!

Other than that, I should be fine.

I will use prime for differentiation with respect to the independent variable which I will assume to be ##x##. We have the substitution ##u(y) = y'##. Differentiating both sides with respect to ##x## gives$$
y'' = u'(y) = \frac{du}{dy}\cdot y' = u \frac{du}{dy}$$It's just the chain rule and I switched the factors in the last step.

1. What is the purpose of using the u = y' substitution in this equation?

The u = y' substitution is used to simplify the equation and make it easier to solve. By substituting u for y', the second derivative (y'') term is eliminated, leaving a first-order differential equation that can be solved using standard methods.

2. How do you perform the u = y' substitution in this equation?

To perform the u = y' substitution, simply replace every instance of y' in the equation with u. This includes the y'' term, which becomes u' after the substitution. The resulting equation will be in terms of u instead of y'.

3. Can you explain why the second derivative term (y'') is eliminated after performing the u = y' substitution?

When u = y' is substituted in the equation, the derivative of u with respect to x becomes u'. This eliminates the second derivative term (y'') and reduces the equation to a first-order differential equation.

4. Are there any restrictions or limitations when using the u = y' substitution?

Yes, there are some restrictions and limitations when using the u = y' substitution. It is only applicable when the equation is in the form of (y + 1) y'' = (y')^2. It cannot be used for other types of equations, and it may not always lead to a simpler equation.

5. Are there any other methods for solving this type of equation besides using the u = y' substitution?

Yes, there are other methods for solving this type of equation, such as separation of variables or using an integrating factor. However, the u = y' substitution is a common and effective method for simplifying and solving this specific type of equation.