Use u = y' substitution to solve (y + 1) y'' = (y')^2

  • Thread starter Thread starter s3a
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Substitution
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 4K views
s3a
Messages
828
Reaction score
8

Homework Statement


Solve the following differential equation, by using the substitution u = y'.:
(y + 1) y'' = (y')^2

Homework Equations


I'm assuming: Chain Rule

The Attempt at a Solution


My problem is, simply, that I don't get how to go from u = y' to y'' = u du/dy, and I would appreciate it if someone could show me how!

Other than that, I should be fine.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Re-write:

(y+1) u' = u²

then rearrange to get u's on the left and y's on the right and integrate.
(this is a classical manipulation in classical mechanics)
 
s3a said:

Homework Statement


Solve the following differential equation, by using the substitution u = y'.:
(y + 1) y'' = (y')^2

Homework Equations


I'm assuming: Chain Rule

The Attempt at a Solution


My problem is, simply, that I don't get how to go from u = y' to y'' = u du/dy, and I would appreciate it if someone could show me how!

Other than that, I should be fine.

I will use prime for differentiation with respect to the independent variable which I will assume to be ##x##. We have the substitution ##u(y) = y'##. Differentiating both sides with respect to ##x## gives$$
y'' = u'(y) = \frac{du}{dy}\cdot y' = u \frac{du}{dy}$$It's just the chain rule and I switched the factors in the last step.