Using a bearing to replace a spring?

In summary, a device that uses a box design with a base will use two springs to lower the box as it is loaded. The travel is about 16'' which is a rather long spring and also takes up considerable space when compressed. It is hard to picture what you have in mind, but linear bearings are very nice for allowing horizontal travel.
mr31lly
I am working on a project that uses a box design with a base. The base has two through holes on the the outer edges that will be used to slide up and down with in the box. The box will support two guide rods where the base can slide up and down.

My intention was to use springs so that as the box is loaded the base gradually lowers. The travel is about 16'' which is a rather long spring and also takes up considerable space when compressed. Does anyone know some sort of alternative to the spring?

My initial thought was some sort of bearing in the base that would only slide when a certain amount of force is applied. So far I am unable to find such a bearing. Let me know of any thoughts or ideas?

Engineering news on Phys.org
mr31lly said:
I am working on a project that uses a box design with a base. The base has two through holes on the the outer edges that will be used to slide up and down with in the box. The box will support two guide rods where the base can slide up and down.

My intention was to use springs so that as the box is loaded the base gradually lowers. The travel is about 16'' which is a rather long spring and also takes up considerable space when compressed. Does anyone know some sort of alternative to the spring?

My initial thought was some sort of bearing in the base that would only slide when a certain amount of force is applied. So far I am unable to find such a bearing. Let me know of any thoughts or ideas?

It is hard to picture what you have in mind. Linear bearings are very nice for allowing horizontal travel.
http://www.thomsonlinear.com/website/com/eng/products/linear_bearings_and_guides.php

... not sure if you can find something with an internal spring...

I am looking for linear bearing, I think a thrust bearing, that would only move after a certain amount of static force is applied to it. That way as the box is loaded the operator just has to push on the top most part and the platform will lower as long as the operate is pushing, until the platform bottoms out. Below is an early design the black part is the platform that will slide up and down, the springs can be seen on the outer edge. However when the springs are compressed they will take up a significant amount of space. Also in the middle of the springs is a guide rod that will support the spring and work with the platform to move only up and down.
upload_2015-1-26_16-43-57.png

You don't need (expensive) linear bearings, and you definitely don't need (also expensive) thrust bearings. Bearings are to reduce friction, not "only slide when a certain amount of force is applied", that is the opposite of what bearings are supposed to do!

What exactly is the purpose of your device? If you can explain it's function well we can provide better advice. Does it need to self reset? A counterweight, pulley & cable is an alternative to springs.

Perhaps a cable operated counterweight, such as used with elevators?

You can use gas springs, Once the load is reached the edges will slide down in the box. But the space used is also big.

Gas springs, compression and tension coil springs, even rubber bands, all are going to use up a big space. Maybe some mainspring (spiral spring like in mechanical watches) can be pretty compact, but it will be more complicated: you will need to connect the mainspring to a cylinder with a some coiled cable and maybe some pulleys also.
It comes to my mind maybe it's possible to use a tool balancer like these:
http://www.grainger.com/category/tool-balancers/fastening-tools-and-accessories/power-tools/ecatalog/N-p0f

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the purpose of using a bearing to replace a spring?

The purpose of using a bearing to replace a spring is to reduce friction and provide a smoother movement in a mechanism. Bearings are designed to support rotating or linear movements and can handle higher loads than springs, making them a more durable and efficient option.

2. How does a bearing replace a spring?

A bearing replaces a spring by supporting the weight or load that the spring would normally be responsible for. The bearing's rolling elements, such as balls or rollers, allow for smoother movement and reduced friction, while the inner and outer rings provide support for the weight or load.

3. What are the benefits of using a bearing instead of a spring?

The benefits of using a bearing instead of a spring include reduced friction, smoother movement, and increased durability. Bearings can also handle higher loads and speeds, making them a more versatile option for a wide range of applications.

4. Are there any limitations to using a bearing instead of a spring?

While bearings have many benefits, there are also limitations to using them instead of springs. Bearings may not be suitable for all applications, as they require proper alignment and lubrication to function effectively. Additionally, bearings may be more expensive than springs and may require regular maintenance.

5. Can any type of bearing be used to replace a spring?

No, not all types of bearings can be used to replace a spring. The type of bearing needed will depend on the specific application and the load and speed requirements. Some common types of bearings used to replace springs include ball bearings, roller bearings, and tapered roller bearings.