1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Using a set square to reduce parallax error

1. May 29, 2016 #1

MBBphys

Gold Member

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    In one of my revision guides, there is an experiment for calculating the acceleration of free fall using the electromagnet and trap door arrangement. The biggest error is in the measurement of the height over which the ball falls. The guide says: "You could reduce the error in your measurement of h by using a set square to make sure your eye is level with the ruler".
    What does that mean? How do you do that?
    Thanks!

2. Relevant equations
    N/A

3. The attempt at a solution
    N/A

2. jcsd
  3. May 29, 2016 #2

collinsmark

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Maybe this?

375px-Reglas.svg.png
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Set_square

By the way, I'm not familiar with this experiment using an electromagnet and trap door, the way you described it. So I'm not sure how the "set square" fits in. You might want to be more specific about the experimental details; perhaps post the entire question verbatim.

4. May 30, 2016 #3

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Parallax error occurs when the line between your eye the object and the ruler isn't 90 degrees to the ruler.

I would normally insert a diagram to explain but unfortunately I'm stuck with this tablet for a few days.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted