Using a triple integral to find volume

In summary: Then you are correct, the volume is the triple integral, from x= 0 to 1, y= 0 to 1- x^2 and z= 0 to 1- y- x^2. That integral is [1-x2- (1- x2)- x^2(1- x2)]dx= [1- 2x2+ x4]dx. The integral of that from x= 0 to 1 is [x- 2x3/3+ x5/5]0 to 1= 1- 2/3+ 1/5= 8/15.In summary, the conversation discusses finding the volume of
Jgalt
I'm supposed to find the volume of a solid bound by co-ordinate planes x=0,y=0, z=0 & surface z=1-y-x^2 and am having a lot of difficulty doing so. f(x,y,z) is not given so I am assuming it is one. I figure I should then take the triple integral dzdydx. Then, I made a 2D sketch for the xy plane to determine limits of integration. I took the ∫dz from 0 to 1-y-x^2 then ∫dy from 0 to 1-x, then ∫dx from 0 to 1, but I keep getting a negative volume so I must be doing something wrong... Please help!

Physics news on Phys.org
you want the volume under the surface f(x,y)=1-y-x^2 so find the limits in the x,y plane and compute the integral
[tex]
\int dx dy f(x,y)
[/tex]

Jgalt said:
I'm supposed to find the volume of a solid bound by co-ordinate planes x=0,y=0, z=0 & surface z=1-y-x^2 and am having a lot of difficulty doing so. f(x,y,z) is not given so I am assuming it is one. I figure I should then take the triple integral dzdydx. Then, I made a 2D sketch for the xy plane to determine limits of integration. I took the ∫dz from 0 to 1-y-x^2 then ∫dy from 0 to 1-x, then ∫dx from 0 to 1, but I keep getting a negative volume so I must be doing something wrong... Please help!

And what did you see when you made a 2D sketch for the xy plane to determine the limits of integration? The plane z= 1- y- x^2 crosses the plane z= 0, when 0= 1- y- x2 or y= 1- x2. Together with with x= 0, y= 0, that is half of a parabola. For each x, y goes from 0 to 1- x2, not 1-x.

1. What is a triple integral?

A triple integral is a mathematical concept used to find the volume of a three-dimensional object. It involves integrating a function over a three-dimensional region and is represented by three nested integrals.

2. When is a triple integral used?

A triple integral is used when the shape of the object being measured cannot be easily defined by a single function. It is also used when calculating the volume of an irregularly shaped object or a region with varying density.

3. How is a triple integral set up?

A triple integral is set up by defining the limits of integration for each variable (x, y, and z) and then multiplying the function by the differential of each variable. The three integrals are then nested inside one another, with the innermost integral being evaluated first.

4. What are some examples of using a triple integral to find volume?

A triple integral can be used to find the volume of a sphere, a cone, a pyramid, or any other three-dimensional shape. It can also be used to find the volume of a region bounded by multiple surfaces, such as a cylinder with a cone cut out of it.

5. Are there any limitations to using a triple integral to find volume?

One limitation of using a triple integral is that it can be a complex and time-consuming process, especially for irregularly shaped objects. It also requires a good understanding of calculus and the ability to set up and solve multiple integrals. Additionally, it may not be suitable for finding the volume of objects with infinite or undefined boundaries.