Using ActiveX Control Functions Without GUI (VC++)

In summary, the conversation is about using an ActiveX control and its functions in a Windows Visual C++ console application. The speaker is having trouble finding information on how to do this and is seeking ideas and suggestions. They mention using Visual Studio 2010 Professional and mention a possible workaround of using a simple MFC app. They also mention the possibility of using Flash UI for editing in a console app.
chickenwing71
I need to use an ActiveX control (and call on it's functions) from within a Windows Visual C++ console application. I can do what I need to with a dialogue-based MFC Windows application with a gui, but can't find any information on loading a control/calling it's functions from a console application. If this is possible, it would be immensely helpful on my current project. I'm using Visual Studio 2010 Professional, by the way. Any ideas?

Technology news on Phys.org
BUMP! I'm still researching it but I have two projects that would benefit from this. I'll keep you updated with my progress if any.

Without knowing what controls you're talking about, it's hard to say, but the ActiveX control might require that it be run in a Windows program rather than a console app.

Yeah, I ended up working around it. I was going to interface with it directly and write my own driver wrapper, but because of Windows USB enumeration issues, I just gave up.

So now I just built a simple mfc app, but slipped in all my code before it draws the window, so even if it's bloated and such, it works. I'm just going to go back at some point and port it all to linux.

I'm looking into using Flash UI for editing things in a console app.

1. How can I use ActiveX Control functions without a GUI in VC++?

You can use ActiveX Control functions without a GUI in VC++ by creating an instance of the control and calling its methods and properties directly in your code.

2. Can I use ActiveX Control functions without a GUI in other programming languages?

Yes, ActiveX Controls can be used without a GUI in other programming languages such as C#, Java, and Python. The process may vary slightly depending on the language, but the general concept remains the same.

3. Are there any limitations to using ActiveX Control functions without a GUI?

There are some limitations to using ActiveX Control functions without a GUI. For example, you will not have access to any visual elements or user input, so you will need to handle all interactions programmatically.

4. Can I still use event handling when using ActiveX Control functions without a GUI?

Yes, you can still use event handling when using ActiveX Control functions without a GUI. However, you will need to handle the events programmatically as there will not be any visual elements to trigger them.

5. Is it recommended to use ActiveX Control functions without a GUI in VC++?

It depends on the specific needs of your project. If you do not need any visual elements or user input, using ActiveX Control functions without a GUI can be a more efficient and streamlined approach. However, if you do need these elements, it may be better to utilize a GUI instead.