Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Using c++ can I

1. Oct 26, 2009 #1
    Create my own browser? I like firefox and all, but I can't get it to be PERFECT for me..

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 26, 2009 #2
    As a general principle you can write any program in any general purpose programming language. Some languages are better at some things than others. Internet Explorer is written in C++ so that is a fairly good indicator...

Most of the software you use will have been written in C or C++.

4. Oct 26, 2009 #3

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

I don't know this for a fact, but I would venture to guess that a major fraction of IE is written in C#.

5. Oct 27, 2009 #4
    I am not an expert, but isn't C# some kind of an extension of C, just like C++???

6. Oct 27, 2009 #5
    C# is not an extension of C or C++. It is a modified Java. Java's syntax was heavily influenced by C and so C# looks like C/C++. C# definitely has some good point over Java, I think they have done a nice job with it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C_Sharp_(programming_language)

I doubt much (if any) of IE or any OS components are written in C#. .NET is not well suited to writing OS extensions.

7. Oct 27, 2009 #6

Mark44

Large programs, such as IE, can be written using multiple programming languages, with parts such as user interfaces written in .NET managed code (C#), and other, lower-level parts written in C++.

8. Oct 27, 2009 #7
    Programs can be written in multiple languages but IE and any part of the Windows OS is probably not going to be. There are reasons why .NET cannot be used in system parts. The CLR can only exist in one version per process and so adding it to any part of the system that can be used as part of another process would restrict that processes choice of CLR (IE can be embedded). Also, there is no real need to write IE in C# -- remember most of IE existed before C# was thought about.

9. Oct 27, 2009 #8

Borek

Rhine720 want's a perfect browser, so fact that IE is written in C++ is a fairly BAD indicator.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2009
  10. Oct 27, 2009 #9

DavidSnider

Gold Member

Firefox is open source. Why not just modify it to suit your desires?

11. Oct 27, 2009 #10
    lol.

I have never used a good browser...

12. Oct 27, 2009 #11
    A better idea would be to learn Javascript and write firefox plugins until whatever it is you didn't like about firefox is fixed. This will be much simpler than learning enough C++ to write a web browser.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook