Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Using condensed water of Air Conditioner to top up a battery

1. Jun 13, 2013 #1
    Hi;

As we know that flooded lead acid battery needs to be top-up (watering) after passage of some time and it is recommended to use distilled water.
    Many people say that water condensed by Air Conditioner is also very good to top-up the battery. Is it true?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 13, 2013 #2
    Rain water.

4. Jun 13, 2013 #3

Averagesupernova

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I have used water from a dehumidifier for many years.

5. Jun 13, 2013 #4

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

It would make me nervous because fan+coil=dust collector.

6. Jun 13, 2013 #5

Averagesupernova

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

There can be things that collect like you say. Usually they settle to the bottom of the bucket and are thrown out with the tail end of the water.

7. Jun 13, 2013 #6
    Does proper distilled water coat that much that you want to degrade your battery? All of these suggestions will have contaminants.

8. Jun 13, 2013 #7

Averagesupernova

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You have no idea how many batteries I have to maintain. I have used this method successfully for years.

9. Jun 13, 2013 #8

NascentOxygen

Staff: Mentor

It may be true, in some cases. But in some climates I'd expect to find algae, the dripping pipes can be green with algae. Filtering would at least remove the bigger clumps.

Still, I think your boss would probably prefer that you used distilled water in his expensive batteries. :wink:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook