Using condensed water of Air Conditioner to top up a battery

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
7 replies · 16K views
signode
Messages
7
Reaction score
0
Hi;

As we know that flooded lead acid battery needs to be top-up (watering) after passage of some time and it is recommended to use distilled water.
Many people say that water condensed by Air Conditioner is also very good to top-up the battery. Is it true?
 
Engineering news on Phys.org
russ_watters said:
It would make me nervous because fan+coil=dust collector.

There can be things that collect like you say. Usually they settle to the bottom of the bucket and are thrown out with the tail end of the water.
 
Does proper distilled water coat that much that you want to degrade your battery? All of these suggestions will have contaminants.
 
Windadct said:
Does proper distilled water coat that much that you want to degrade your battery? All of these suggestions will have contaminants.

You have no idea how many batteries I have to maintain. I have used this method successfully for years.
 
signode said:
Many people say that water condensed by Air Conditioner is also very good to top-up the battery. Is it true?
It may be true, in some cases. But in some climates I'd expect to find algae, the dripping pipes can be green with algae. Filtering would at least remove the bigger clumps.

Still, I think your boss would probably prefer that you used distilled water in his expensive batteries. :wink: