1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Using convolution for Laplace transform

1. Apr 3, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Using convolution theorem for Laplace theorem,, show that

2. Relevant equations
    inverse Laplace transform (1/(S^3/2*(s-1)) = (2*e^t)/Pi^1/2 intregral (from 0 to t) e^-x*x^1/2dx.

3. The attempt at a solution

The inverse Laplace above is a product of 1/s^3/2 and 1/(s-1)

and both terms are the Laplace transform of 2/Pi^1/2*t^1/2 and e^t respectively.

changing variable t = u gives:2/Pi^1/2*u^1/2 and e^u

using convolution: integral (from 0 to infinity) e^-st integral (from 0 to t)
    (2/Pi^1/2*u^1/2 )(e^u)du dt.

I dont know how to go about with the integral from here onwards..Help!

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 4, 2007 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

The "convolution theorem" you are told use says that the Laplace transform of a convolution of functions is the product of the Laplace transforms of the functions. Isn't that exactly what you need here?

4. Apr 5, 2007 #3
    I am sorry but I dont really get you. Laplace transform of a convolution of functions is the product of the Laplace transforms of the functions.

Isnt that what I am trying to do. finding the product of the inverse Laplace (which as given) and converting the products to its functions.

Is there a rule or formula for convolution theorem of Laplace theorem?

5. Apr 5, 2007 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Good. You are saying that [itex]\frac{1}{s^{3/2}}\frac{1}{s-1}[/itex] is the product of the Laplace transforms of [itex]\frac{2}{\sqrt{\pi t}}[/itex] and [itex]e^t[/itex]. You also know that the Laplace transform of a convolution is the product of the individual functions. So [itex]\frac{1}{s^{3/2}}\frac{1}{s-1}[/itex] is the Laplace transform of the convolution of [itex]\frac{2}{\sqrt{\pi t}}[/itex] and [itex]e^t[/itex]. If you can show that the convolution of those function is equal to [itex]\frac{2e^t}{\sqrt{\pi}}\int_0^t e^{-x\sqrt{x}}dx[/itex], you are done!

By the way, what "Precalculus" class deals with the Laplace transform?

6. Apr 5, 2007 #5
    My problem now is to prove it because now the function has integral form 0 to t where does that come from?

Is there a convolution rule that i need to know to be able to prove it?

And im so sorry if I post it in the wrong section. Under which section should post this Laplace problems? thx.

7. Apr 5, 2007 #6

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

First what is the DEFINITION of the convolution of two functions? I think that is the formula you need.

Second, this should be in "Calculus and Beyond". I will go ahead and move it.

8. Apr 5, 2007 #7
    Oh I just found an appropriate section for this problem. Sorry for posting the problem at the wrong area. I'll make sure Ill post any problem/s in the appropraite sectionnext time.

9. Apr 5, 2007 #8
    There was some typing error, in the original equation.

inverse Laplace transform (1/(S^3/2*(s-1)) = (2*e^t)/Pi^1/2 intregral (from 0 to t) (e^-x)*(x^1/2)dx.

The inverse Laplace above is a product of 1/s^3/2 and 1/(s-1)

and both terms are the Laplace transform of (2/Pi^1/2)*t^1/2 and e^t respectively.

Using convolution theorem,
    integral (from 0 to infinity) e^-st (integral (from 0 to t) f (t - x)*g(x)dx)dt

putting the Laplace transform it becomes
    integral (from 0 to infinity) e^-st (integral (from 0 to t) (e^ (t - x))*(2/Pi^1/2)*x^1/2dx)dt

But can I do this,
    (integral (from 0 to infinity) e^-st dt)*(integral (from 0 to t) (e^ (t - x))*(2/Pi^1/2)*x^1/2dx)dt

If i can do that then it is already proven
    (2*e^t)/Pi^1/2 intregral (from 0 to t) (e^-x)*(x^1/2)dx.

10. Apr 5, 2007 #9
    Well, actually i don't think I can do the following:
    (integral (from 0 to infinity) e^-st dt)*(integral (from 0 to t) (e^ (t - x))*(2/Pi^1/2)*x^1/2dx)dt

I think the integration
    integral(from 0 to infinity) of e^-st*(integral (from 0 to t) (e^ (t - x))*(2/Pi^1/2)*x^1/2dx)dt using integration by parts

integration of e^-st (from 0 to infinity), will give 1.

hence and leaving (integral (from 0 to t) (e^ (t - x))*(2/Pi^1/2)*x^1/2dx)

am I right? I hope I am making sense.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?