Using Cramer's Rule to find needed equations

In summary, the problem at hand is to find the minimum coefficient μ between tires and road for a car to not slide off while negotiating a banked bend. The equations used are ƩFx = Nsinθ -fscosθ = mv2/r and ƩFy = Ncosθ + fssinθ = mg, with μ = [fs]/[/N]. Cramer's rule can be used to solve for fs and N, with the final answers being fs = m(gsinθ-v2/r*cosθ) and N = m(v2/r*sinθ+gcosθ). This involves dealing with two equations and two unknowns.
Final9mare

Homework Statement

I am finding the minimum coefficient μ between tires and road so that cars do not slide off. I have my equations for ƩFy and ƩFx and I know μ = [fs]/[/N]

So I would need to use cramer's rule on my equations to find fs and N.

But I am not sure how to use cramer's rule for my equations.

Homework Equations

ƩFx = Nsinθ -fscosθ = mv2/r
ƩFy = Ncosθ + fssinθ = mg

The Attempt at a Solution

I actually already have the answer but I am not sure how to use cramer's to get to it.

fs = m(gsinθ-v2/r*cosθ)

N = m(v2/r*sinθ+gcosθ)

Physics news on Phys.org
At a guess (which I should not be needing to do!) the car is negotiating a bend radius r, banked at angle theta (in the helpful direction).
Final9mare said:
ƩFx = Nsinθ -fscosθ = mv2/r
ƩFy = Ncosθ + fssinθ = mg
Sure about the sign of fs in those? Or is this calculating the minimum speed?
I actually already have the answer but I am not sure how to use cramer's to get to it.
fs = m(gsinθ-v2/r*cosθ)
N = m(v2/r*sinθ+gcosθ)
You have two equations and two unknowns. You're accustomed to dealing with pairs of simultaneous equations, I trust.

What is Cramer's Rule?

Cramer's Rule is a mathematical formula used to solve systems of linear equations. It involves using determinants to find the values of the variables in a system of equations.

When should I use Cramer's Rule?

Cramer's Rule can be used when you have a system of linear equations with the same number of equations as variables. It is particularly useful when solving systems with three or more variables.

How do I use Cramer's Rule?

To use Cramer's Rule, you first need to set up the system of equations in matrix form. Then, you need to calculate the determinant of the coefficient matrix and the determinant of each matrix formed by replacing one column of the coefficient matrix with the constant terms. Finally, the values of the variables can be found by dividing each determinant by the determinant of the coefficient matrix.

What are the advantages of using Cramer's Rule?

Cramer's Rule can be useful when solving systems of equations with many variables, as it can be easier and faster than other methods such as elimination or substitution. It also allows for a straightforward way to check the solutions obtained by other methods.

Are there any limitations to using Cramer's Rule?

Cramer's Rule can only be used for systems of linear equations, and it may not always provide a unique solution. In some cases, the determinants may be zero, indicating that there is no solution or an infinite number of solutions. Additionally, it can be computationally inefficient for larger systems of equations.