Using Databases like Scopus to Find Trends in Physics

In summary, the conversation discusses using databases like Scopus to determine the current "hot" areas of physics, as well as understanding what is meant by "hot" and "still in development". The point is made that the answer will depend on the specific question being asked, such as the number of people working in a field or the number of articles published in a certain journal. It is suggested to look at research highlighted on physics.aps.org to get an idea of what physicists themselves find exciting. It is also noted that determining the most important fields of physics can be subjective and may vary depending on how the fields are divided and categorized.
rsnelsonjose
Hello everyone. My question is how can I use databases like scopus to know which areas of physics are the "hot" today or which are still in development.

Physics news on Phys.org
Define "hot" and "still in development". Or, asked differently, which area is not studied any more?

No no I've been looking for the most important fields of physics in the last decade, but I want to be sure using databases. Thats why I said "hot"...meaning "trend in the present"

Now define "most important" :smile:

The point being that the answer you get will depend a lot on the exact question you ask. Is it the number of people working in the field? The number of articles in Phys. Rev. Lett.? How much money [big name university] is willing to put to recruit a leader in the field?

If you want to get an idea of what physicists themselves think is exciting, I suggest you look at the research highlighted at
https://physics.aps.org

If we go purely by number of people working on it then every field is hotter than each of its subfields.
"Nuclear and particle physics" might be hotter than laser physics, but laser physics could be hotter than both nuclear physics and particle physics. Until you split laser physics into solid-state lasers and other lasers, then you get the reverse order again. Made-up example, but it should demonstrate the problem.

1. What is Scopus and how does it work?

Scopus is a database of scientific literature and research. It is designed to help researchers find relevant articles, track citations, and analyze trends in various fields. Scopus works by indexing articles from thousands of journals, allowing users to search for specific keywords, authors, or topics.

2. How can Scopus be used to find trends in physics?

Scopus can be used to find trends in physics by searching for articles related to specific topics or keywords in the field of physics. It also allows users to track the number of citations for a particular article or author, which can indicate the impact and relevance of their research.

3. Can Scopus be used to compare trends in physics across different countries?

Yes, Scopus allows users to filter their search results by country. This means that it is possible to compare trends in physics between different countries and see how research in this field is progressing globally.

4. Are there any limitations to using Scopus for trend analysis in physics?

While Scopus is a comprehensive database, it is not the only source of scientific literature. Some articles may not be indexed in Scopus, which could limit the accuracy of trend analysis. Additionally, Scopus only includes articles from certain journals, so it may not capture all research in the field of physics.

5. How often is Scopus updated and how current is the data?

Scopus is updated daily, and new articles are typically added within a few weeks of publication. This means that the data on Scopus is relatively current and can provide insights into the latest trends in physics research.