Using Energy Equations to find Final Velocity

In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of finding the speed of a box that slides down an inclined plane with given parameters, using both motion equations and energy equations. The first method uses the Work-Energy theorem to show that the change in kinetic energy alone can demonstrate the change in all energies, while the second method calculates the total work done on the system and equates it to the change in kinetic energy. Both methods result in the same answer of 7.6 m/s for the speed of the box at the bottom of the ramp.
Foopyblue

Homework Statement

A box slides down an inclined plane (angle = 37*). The mass of the block is 35 kg, the coefficient of kinetic friction between the box and the ramp is 0.3, and the length of the ramp is 8 m. If it starts from rest at the top of the ramp, with what speed does it reach the bottom? Use energy equations.

Homework Equations

[/B]
[itex]Work = \Delta K [/itex]
[itex]Work = \Delta E [/itex]
[itex]Work = \Delta K + \Delta U_g + \Delta E_t{}_h[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I understand how to do this with motion equations:

VF2 = Vi2 +2ad
VF2 = 2ad

a = gsin(θ)-(FFR/m)
a = gsin(37) - (350cos(37)*0.3/35)
a = 6-2.4

VF2 = 2 * 3.6 * 8
VF2 = 57.6
VF = 7.6
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
But I am at lost with energy equations

I calculated the Net Work of the system by calculating the Work of each Force and adding them together and I got 1020 J.
I want to plug this into either one of these equations:

1020 = (1/2)mv2

1020 = (1/2)mv2 + mgy + FFR * d

But what I don't understand is how the first equation can be equal to the second equation. Wouldn't I get a different answer? Why is the change in kinetic energy alone enough to demonstrate the change in all of the energies?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Foopyblue said:
But I am at lost with energy equations

I calculated the Net Work of the system by calculating the Work of each Force and adding them together and I got 1020 J.
I want to plug this into either one of these equations:

1020 = (1/2)mv2

1020 = (1/2)mv2 + mgy + FFR * d

But what I don't understand is how the first equation can be equal to the second equation. Wouldn't I get a different answer? Why is the change in kinetic energy alone enough to demonstrate the change in all of the energies?

When using an equation, you need to know what the notations mean in it. The three equations you quoted do not mean the same work. Read the context in the text.
And look after Work-Energy Theorem in your notes of book. What does it say?

This is what my textbook says for each equation.

Work=ΔE
The total energy of a system changes by the amount of work done on it.

Another way to right the equation above is by listing the specific types of energies found in the system.

The only energies I found in this system were Kinetic, Potential due to gravity, and Thermal so:

Work=ΔK+ΔUg+ΔEth

Work=ΔK
A system gains or loses kinetic energy by transferring it through work between the environment (forces being introduced into the system) and the system.

So if I chose my system to be just the block, I would only have to worry about Kinetic Energy and this is why Work=ΔK works?

I tried thinking about this more deeply. The Law of Conservation of energy states that the total energy of an isolated system is conserved so that its change is zero. If I choose my system to be the Earth, the inclined plane, and the block, then for this problem, it is indeed isolated. This would mean that no work is done. Thus

Work = ΔE
Work = ΔK + ΔUg + ΔEth
0 = ΔK + ΔUg + ΔEth
0 = (Kf - Ki) + (Ugf - Ugi) + ΔEth
[itex] 0 = (\frac{1}{2}mv_f^2-\frac{1}{2}mv_i^2)+(mgh_f-mgh_i)+F_F*d[/itex]
vi=0 and hf=0 so the 2nd term and 3rd term go away
[itex] 0 = \frac{1}{2}mv_f^2-mgh_i+F_F*d[/itex]
Friction force is Normal Force times coefficient of kinetic friction, so
[itex] 0 = \frac{1}{2}mv_f^2-mgh_i+(F_N*\mu_k*d)[/itex]
The initial height can be found with trig functions, hypotenuse is 8, searching for opposite side 8sin(37)= 4.8
Normal force is Wcos(37) W = 35*9.8 = 343 343cos(37)= 274
Coefficient of kinetic friction is 0.3
[itex] 0 = \frac{1}{2}*35*v_f^2-35*9.8*4.8+(274*0.3*8)[/itex]
[itex] 0 = 17.5v_f^2-1646.4+657.6[/itex]
[itex] 0 = 17.5v_f^2-988.8[/itex]
[itex] -17.5v_f^2 = -988.8[/itex]
[itex] v_f^2 = 56.5[/itex]
[itex] v_f = 7.5[/itex]

However a system that contains just the block would not be isolated so I would not be able to use the law of conservation of energy if I decided to work with just the block.
I can use Work=ΔK because the definition says that a system gains or loses kinetic energy by transferring it through work between the environment and the system.
I have a system, the block, that is gaining kinetic energy from the environment, the inclined plane and the earth, so I can use this equation.
There are 3 forces on the block, Gravity, Normal Force, and Friction Force. The Normal Force does no work on the system because it is perpendicular to the displacement. A component of gravity, Wsinθ, does work in the direction of movement, and the friction force does work antiparallel to the blocks movement so

(Wsinθ*d)-(Ffr*d) = Total Work
343*sin37*8-82*8 = Total Work
1650-650 = Total Work
1000 J = Total Work

So now that I know the Total Work done on the block

Work=ΔK
[itex]1000 = \frac{1}{2}mv_f^2-\frac{1}{2}mv_i^2[/itex]
[itex]1000 = \frac{1}{2}*35*v_f^2-0[/itex]
[itex]1000 = 17.5v_f^2[/itex]
[itex]57 = v_f^2[/itex]
[itex]7.6 = v_f[/itex]

My numbers came out right but does this logic sound correct?

Foopyblue said:
My numbers came out right but does this logic sound correct?
Yes, both methods are correct, congratulation! :)

Likes Foopyblue

1. How do energy equations help in finding final velocity?

Energy equations, specifically the conservation of energy principle, can be used to determine the final velocity of an object by calculating the total energy of the object at two different points in its motion. By equating the initial energy to the final energy, we can solve for the final velocity.

2. What are the different types of energy equations used in finding final velocity?

The most commonly used energy equations for finding final velocity are the kinetic energy equation (KE = 1/2 * m * v^2), potential energy equation (PE = mgh), and the conservation of energy equation (KEi + PEi = KEf + PEf).

3. In what situations can energy equations be used to find final velocity?

Energy equations can be used to find final velocity in any situation where the only forces acting on an object are conservative forces, such as gravity or elastic forces. This means that the total mechanical energy of the object is conserved.

4. What are the limitations of using energy equations to find final velocity?

Energy equations can only be used to find final velocity if all the initial and final energies are known, and if only conservative forces are acting on the object. Additionally, energy equations do not take into account external factors such as air resistance, which can affect the final velocity of an object.

5. Can energy equations be used to find the final velocity of an object at any point during its motion?

Yes, energy equations can be used to find the final velocity of an object at any point during its motion, as long as the initial and final energies are known. This can be helpful in situations where the final velocity is needed at a specific point, rather than just at the end of the object's motion.