Using Gauss' Law (differential form) to get Coulomb's law.

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of the differential form of Gauss' Law to derive Coulomb's Law. The individual is attempting to understand the concept and goes through the steps of the derivation, but realizes that they were doing the divergence wrong. They correct their mistake and arrive at the correct equation for Coulomb's Law.
WraithM
I don't really know much about serious business electrostatics. I've only taken the AP Physics C E&M exam (using the integral form), but I was looking at wikipedia and I was curious about the differential form of Gauss' Law.

I don't understand what I'm doing wrong with this. I'm trying to derive coulomb's law (just so I get a better understanding of how to use the differential form) from the differential form of Gauss' law.

So, you have

[tex]\rho (r) = \frac{Q}{V(r)}[/tex]

and I guess for a point charge, you'd use a spherical volume, so,

[tex]V(r) = \frac{4}{3}\pi r^3[/tex]

Therefore,

[tex]\rho (r) = \frac{3Q}{4\pi r^3}[/tex]

Then plug that into Gauss' law:

[tex]\nabla \cdot E = \frac{3Q}{4\pi \epsilon_0 r^3}[/tex]

Because there's spherical symmetry, I'm just going to ignore the rest of the divergence operator and just say

[tex]\nabla \cdot E = \frac{dE}{dr}[/tex]

Perhaps this is where I went wrong, and the divergence is way more complicated than that for this situation, but this makes sense to me intuitively.

Then you'd have after separating variables and ignoring a negative sign:

[tex]E = \int_\infty^r \frac{3Q}{4\pi\epsilon_0 r^3} dr[/tex]

[tex]E = \frac{3Q}{8\pi\epsilon_0 r^2}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{3Q}{8\pi\epsilon_0 r^2} \neq \frac{Q}{4\pi\epsilon_0 r^2}[/tex]

lol wat? There's a 2 in the denominator when there should be a 3 to make the 3 in the top cancel out and be happy. What am I doing wrong? Or am I just making utter non-sense?

Physics news on Phys.org
Lol, I was doing the divergence wrong, as I thought. I was being stupid.

[tex]\nabla \cdot E = \frac{1}{r^2} \frac{d(r^2 E)}{dr}[/tex]

:/

integrate and you get:

[tex]E = \frac{\rho r}{3 \epsilon_0}[/tex]

replace rho

[tex]E = \frac{Q}{4 \pi \epsilon_0 r^2}[/tex]

k, good. I'm not crazy, just doing it wrong.

Related to Using Gauss' Law (differential form) to get Coulomb's law.

1. What is Gauss' Law and how does it relate to Coulomb's Law?

Gauss' Law is a fundamental law in physics that relates the electric field to the distribution of electric charges. It is closely related to Coulomb's Law, which states that the force between two point charges is directly proportional to the product of the charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

2. What is the differential form of Gauss' Law?

The differential form of Gauss' Law is a mathematical equation that relates the electric field to the charge density at a specific point in space. It is written as ∇ · E = ρ/ε0, where ∇ is the divergence operator, E is the electric field, ρ is the charge density, and ε0 is the permittivity of free space.

3. How do you use Gauss' Law (differential form) to derive Coulomb's Law?

To derive Coulomb's Law from Gauss' Law (differential form), we start by considering a small volume element around a point charge q. We then apply Gauss' Law to this volume and use the fact that the electric field is constant on a sphere centered at the point charge. This allows us to simplify the equation and ultimately arrive at Coulomb's Law.

4. What are the advantages of using Gauss' Law (differential form) to derive Coulomb's Law?

One advantage is that Gauss' Law (differential form) allows us to calculate the electric field at a point without having to consider the contributions from individual charges. This makes it easier to solve problems involving complex charge distributions. Additionally, Gauss' Law provides a more general equation that can be applied to different situations, whereas Coulomb's Law is limited to point charges.

5. Are there any limitations to using Gauss' Law (differential form) to get Coulomb's Law?

Gauss' Law (differential form) is limited to situations where the charge distribution is static and symmetric. It also assumes that the permittivity of free space is constant. If these conditions are not met, then Gauss' Law may not accurately predict the electric field and Coulomb's Law may not be applicable.