Bernoulli? Difference in water pressure between floors

In summary, the problem involves a water line entering a house and a smaller pipe carrying water to a faucet on the second floor. Using the equation p + 1/2ρv2 + ρgy, the pressure difference between the main line and the second floor is calculated to be 9.11 x 104 Pa. After verifying with the professor, it was confirmed that this answer is correct and the online system was incorrect.
HeatherP

Homework Statement

A water line enters a house 2.0 m below the ground. A smaller diameter pipe carries water to a faucet 5.0 m above the ground, on the second floor. Water flows at 2.0 m/s in the main line and at 7.0 m/s on the second floor. Take the density of water to be 1.0 x 103 kg/m3. The difference in pressure between the main line and the second floor is:

A. 7.15 x 104 Pa with the main line at the higher pressure
B. 2.65 x 104 Pa with the main line at the higher pressure
C. 7.15 x 104 Pa with the main line at the lower pressure
D. 2.65 x 104 Pa with the main line at the lower pressure
E. 9.4 x 104 Pa with the main line at the higher pressure

Homework Equations

p + 1/2ρv2 + ρgy

The Attempt at a Solution

main line = second floor

p1 + 1/2ρv21 + ρgy1 = p2 + 1/2ρv22 + ρgy2

p1 + (.5)(1000)(4) + (1000)(9.8)(0) = p2 + (.5)(1000)(49) + (1000)(9.8)(7)

p1 + 2000 + 0 = p2 + 24500 + 68600

p1 - p2 = 24500 + 68600 - 2000

= 9.11 X 104

I was told this answer was incorrect. I think I'm doing something wrong with my y (elevation). I've tried using 0 and 7 and -2 and 5 without success.

Per a search on the internet, it looks like 7.15 x 104 with the main line at the higher pressure is the right answer, but I can not find an explanation why.

Any idea where I'm going wrong?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
I think your answer is correct. The main pressure is definitely higher or you couldn't move the water to the upstairs. I don't see any math or conversion errors.

p1 + (.5)(1000)(4) + (1000)(9.8)(0) = p2 + (.5)(1000)(49) + (1000)(9.8)(7)

What answer do you get when you use 5m as the change in elevation, rather than 7m?
A. 7.15 x 104 Pa with the main line at the higher pressure
But 5m is the elevation change between the ground and the second floor.

Your question asks for pressure difference between main line and the second floor, which is what you calculated using 7m. Your answer seems correct.

Who says the answer is wrong, H?

GeorginaS said:
Who says the answer is wrong, H?

It was a question that I had to answer in an online format so it told me that the answer was incorrect once I submitted it.

I’m going to check with my professor today to see why the answer was marked incorrect. I’ll let y’all know what I learn.

Well, turns out my answer was right and the computer was wrong. Who would have thought! :)

Thanks all!

Wow, how cool is that? See? I didn't steer you wrong for physics advice. :smile:

1. What is Bernoulli's principle?

Bernoulli's principle is a fundamental concept in fluid dynamics that describes the relationship between pressure and velocity in a fluid flow. It states that as the speed of a fluid increases, its pressure decreases, and vice versa.

2. How does Bernoulli's principle apply to water pressure between floors?

In a multi-story building, the water pressure on the lower floors will be greater than on the upper floors due to the height difference. According to Bernoulli's principle, as the water flows from the lower floors to the upper floors, its velocity increases, causing a decrease in pressure. This explains why water pressure is lower on higher floors.

3. Can Bernoulli's principle explain how airplanes are able to fly?

Yes, Bernoulli's principle also applies to the lift force generated by the wings of an airplane. As the air flows over the curved shape of the wing, its velocity increases, resulting in a decrease in pressure. This creates a pressure difference between the top and bottom of the wing, which generates lift.

4. Is Bernoulli's principle always applicable to fluid flow?

No, Bernoulli's principle is based on certain assumptions, such as the fluid being incompressible and the flow being steady and non-turbulent. In real-world situations, these conditions may not be met, and other factors may also affect the fluid flow.

5. How is Bernoulli's principle used in everyday life?

Bernoulli's principle has many practical applications, including in the design of airplane wings, ships, and race cars. It is also used in ventilation systems, carburetors, and sprinkler systems. Understanding this principle is essential in fields such as engineering, meteorology, and aerodynamics.