Using Laplace Transforms to Solve DE

In summary, the problem involves finding the Laplace transform of a second-order differential equation with initial conditions. The solution involves plugging in the Laplace transforms for y'' and y, performing a partial fraction decomposition, and checking for mistakes in the transform of the left side.
Ithryndil

Homework Statement

The problem is this:

[tex]y'' - 4y = e^{-t} , y(0) = 1, y'(0) = 0 [/tex]

Homework Equations

L{y(t)} = Y(s)
L{y'(t)} = sY(s) - y(0)
L{y''(t)} = s^2Y(s) - sy(0) - y(0)

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok, so I plugged the Laplace transforms for y'' and y into the equation as well as for e^(-t) and got:

[tex]Y(s) = \frac{1}{s(s-4)(s+1)} - \frac{1}{(s-4)} - \frac{4}{4(s+1)}[/tex]

From that point on I would need to perform a partial fraction decomposition on the first term and last term, the middle term is ok. Doing so I get:

[tex]Y(s) = \frac{-1}{4s} + \frac{-1}{20(s-4)} + \frac{1}{5(s+1)}- \frac{1}{(s-1)} + \frac{1}{s} - \frac{1}{(s-4)}[/tex]

However, the book is getting answers with e^(2t). I am not seeing how anything I have in that last line will yield that, so I assume I am doing something wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org
Check over the transform of the left side. I believe you are supposed to get

s2Y(s)-sY(0)-Y'(0)-4Y(s)

...It's stupid mistakes like the one I made above that are frustrating. Thank you.

Related to Using Laplace Transforms to Solve DE

1. What is a Laplace Transform?

A Laplace Transform is a mathematical tool used to solve differential equations. It transforms a function of time into a function of complex frequency, making it easier to solve differential equations that involve derivatives.

2. How do Laplace Transforms help to solve differential equations?

Laplace Transforms help to solve differential equations by transforming the equations into algebraic equations, which are easier to solve. This method is particularly useful for solving linear differential equations with constant coefficients.

3. What is the process of using Laplace Transforms to solve differential equations?

The process of using Laplace Transforms to solve differential equations involves three main steps: taking the Laplace Transform of both sides of the equation, solving the resulting algebraic equation for the transformed function, and then taking the inverse Laplace Transform to find the solution in terms of the original function.

4. What are the advantages of using Laplace Transforms over other methods of solving differential equations?

Laplace Transforms have several advantages over other methods of solving differential equations. They can handle a wide range of initial and boundary conditions, they are particularly useful for solving linear equations, and they can handle equations with variable coefficients.

5. Are there any limitations to using Laplace Transforms to solve differential equations?

Yes, there are some limitations to using Laplace Transforms to solve differential equations. They are not effective for solving nonlinear equations, and they can be challenging to apply to equations with discontinuous or piecewise-defined functions.