Using lasers to decrease speed of sodium atoms

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of lasers to decrease the speed of sodium atoms in an experiment. The question is posed about how long it would take for the atoms to completely stop, with the correct answer being 0.1 seconds. This can be calculated using the equation s = 1/2*a*t^2, where s is the distance traveled, a is the acceleration, and t is the time.
BruceSpringste
Hi!

Recently I have began to read up on my passion in physics in my spare time.
I have encountered an experiment where lasers are used to decrease the speed of sodium atoms. The lasers are a wavelength that the sodium atoms absorb and then proceed to emit a photon.

If the atoms are traveling at a speed of 1km/s and the laser decelerates the speed of the atoms by
106m/s2 how long will it take for them to completely come to a stop?

It is a simple question that I simply cannot get the right answer out of. I get the answer 1m but later in the text it mentions the stopping distance to approx. 0.5m!

What am I missing?

Thanks!

Edit: Just realized what I did wrong! Don't know how to delete posts!

Last edited:
Science news on Phys.org
The answer is 0.1s. This can be calculated using the equation s = 1/2*a*t^2, where s is the distance traveled, a is the acceleration, and t is the time. In this case, s = 106m/s^2, a = -106m/s^2, and t = 0.1s.

Related to Using lasers to decrease speed of sodium atoms

1. How does using lasers decrease the speed of sodium atoms?

Using lasers to decrease the speed of sodium atoms is achieved through a process called laser cooling. This involves directing lasers at the atoms in a specific way to slow them down and reduce their kinetic energy.

2. What type of laser is used for this process?

The type of laser used for laser cooling of sodium atoms is typically a diode laser or a dye laser. These types of lasers emit light at specific wavelengths that are suitable for interacting with sodium atoms.

3. What happens to the temperature of the atoms when using lasers to decrease their speed?

When lasers are used to decrease the speed of sodium atoms, the temperature of the atoms also decreases. This is because the decrease in speed also results in a decrease in kinetic energy, which is directly related to temperature.

4. Can laser cooling be used on other types of atoms besides sodium?

Yes, laser cooling can be used on a variety of different atoms, including alkali metals like sodium, as well as noble gases and even molecules. However, the specific laser setup and parameters may vary depending on the type of atom being cooled.

5. What are the potential applications of using lasers to decrease the speed of sodium atoms?

Using lasers to decrease the speed of sodium atoms has many potential applications, including in atomic clocks, quantum computing, and precision measurements. It can also be used in experiments studying the behavior of atoms at extremely low temperatures and in creating Bose-Einstein condensates.