Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Using Matrices to Solve Systems of Masses and Springs

1. May 26, 2014 #1
    I am going through Mary Boas' "Mathematical Methods in the Physical Sciences 3rd Ed". I finished the chapter 3 section 12 problem set, but I do not understand how she gets eq. 12.39. These don't seem obviously equal to each other. Here is the equation:

$$\lambda Tr=Vr$$ Where T is a matrix representing the kinetic energy, and V is a matrix representing the stiffness of the springs (potential energy).

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Chris Maness

2. jcsd
  3. May 26, 2014 #2

UltrafastPED

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Ideal springs transform potential to kinetic energy, and back again.

When averaged over a full cycle the kinetic & potential energy each equal 1/2 of the total energy.

The problem description will provide further detail for the details of the expression.

4. May 26, 2014 #3
    Ironically, I only see the equation pop into the text ex nihilo. Would this be an equivalent expression?:

$$k\left< { r }|{ V }|{ r } \right> =m\left< { \dot { r } }|{ T }|{ \dot { r } } \right> \quad if\quad r={ e }^{ i\omega t } $$

This seems to be equivalent to the original equation in my mind. I used the BRA/KET just to reflect the transpose since it seems to be an inner product with a the matrices sandwiched in between. The equation above does not seem to work. That is why I am scratching my head.

Thanks,
    Chris Maness

Last edited: May 26, 2014
  5. May 27, 2014 #4

AlephZero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Your equation isn't quite right. Using matrix notation (I'm an engineer not a physicist!) the potential energy is ##\frac 1 2 r^T V r## and the kinetic energy is ##\frac 1 2 \dot r^T T \dot r##. The T matrix includes the mass so you don't need another ##m## term.

If you assume harmonic motion ##r = e^{i\omega t}##, then ##\dot r = i\omega r## so ## T = -\omega^2 \frac 1 2 r^T T r##, or ## T = -\lambda \frac 1 2 r^T T r##.

By conservation of energy, ##-\lambda \frac 1 2 r^T T r + \frac 1 2 r^T V r## is constant.

If you consider this as a function of ##r##, the physical solutions are when the energy does not change for small perturbations of ##r##, i.e. when ##\frac {\partial}{\partial r}(-\lambda \frac 1 2 r^T T r + \frac 1 2 r^T V r) = 0## which gives your equation ##\lambda Tr = Vr##.

You probably want a longer explanation of the last step of taking ##\frac {\partial}{\partial r}##, but you should be able to find that in a textbook. I don't have Boas so I can't give you a page reference.

6. May 27, 2014 #5
    Ah, I now see where I get my omega squared. There are two r dots there.

Chris

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook