Using Matrices to Solve Systems of Masses and Springs

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 2K views
kq6up
Messages
366
Reaction score
13
I am going through Mary Boas' "Mathematical Methods in the Physical Sciences 3rd Ed". I finished the chapter 3 section 12 problem set, but I do not understand how she gets eq. 12.39. These don't seem obviously equal to each other. Here is the equation:

$$\lambda Tr=Vr$$ Where T is a matrix representing the kinetic energy, and V is a matrix representing the stiffness of the springs (potential energy).

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Chris Maness
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Ideal springs transform potential to kinetic energy, and back again.

When averaged over a full cycle the kinetic & potential energy each equal 1/2 of the total energy.

The problem description will provide further detail for the details of the expression.
 
Ironically, I only see the equation pop into the text ex nihilo. Would this be an equivalent expression?:

$$k\left< { r }|{ V }|{ r } \right> =m\left< { \dot { r } }|{ T }|{ \dot { r } } \right> \quad if\quad r={ e }^{ i\omega t } $$

This seems to be equivalent to the original equation in my mind. I used the BRA/KET just to reflect the transpose since it seems to be an inner product with a the matrices sandwiched in between. The equation above does not seem to work. That is why I am scratching my head.

Thanks,
Chris Maness
 
Last edited:
Your equation isn't quite right. Using matrix notation (I'm an engineer not a physicist!) the potential energy is ##\frac 1 2 r^T V r## and the kinetic energy is ##\frac 1 2 \dot r^T T \dot r##. The T matrix includes the mass so you don't need another ##m## term.

If you assume harmonic motion ##r = e^{i\omega t}##, then ##\dot r = i\omega r## so ## T = -\omega^2 \frac 1 2 r^T T r##, or ## T = -\lambda \frac 1 2 r^T T r##.

By conservation of energy, ##-\lambda \frac 1 2 r^T T r + \frac 1 2 r^T V r## is constant.

If you consider this as a function of ##r##, the physical solutions are when the energy does not change for small perturbations of ##r##, i.e. when ##\frac {\partial}{\partial r}(-\lambda \frac 1 2 r^T T r + \frac 1 2 r^T V r) = 0## which gives your equation ##\lambda Tr = Vr##.

You probably want a longer explanation of the last step of taking ##\frac {\partial}{\partial r}##, but you should be able to find that in a textbook. I don't have Boas so I can't give you a page reference.
 
Ah, I now see where I get my omega squared. There are two r dots there.

Chris